Profile picture for tbonham27

intent to vacate and shopping for a home

my apt lease is up in thirty days..my rent is 1300 a month. I am just now starting to look for a home..my apartment requires a 90 intent to vacate notice. They want 2500 a month to go month by month if I don't resign for at least six months. is that legal?(texas)
  • April 23 2014 - Dallas
  • 0

Yes legal.....month to month is normally a lot more than signed leases.   90days is a little long, but it is whatever you agree to with them.   Remember you don't have to agree to it, but then they have the right not to lease to you.   Lease prices have gone up.  60 days has been the norm the last 2-3 years.

We have no rent control in DFW.

If you have 90 days to move out,...probably best to get prequalified today, get shopping for a house.  You can look this weekend, contract, and close normally in 30 days...so that is very doable.   

You may still have to pay rent for 3 months or the 90 days.

Your lease should state what happens at the end of the lease term.  Its very common to require a 45-60 day notice with a month to month scenario if a leased wasn't renewed but, your lease should show precisely what your terms are.  See my profile, I would be happy to walk you through the process and find you a new home.

Marlon,

The rent increase if you go M2M is legal.  However the 90 day notice is kind of long, typically apartments require 60 days mostly.  But the answer is in your lease, you should look it up.

What is the penalty if you give them just a 30 day notice?  Could be cheaper than the $2500 per month you face.  If your apartment is in a desirable area, they could find a tenant right aways or may be you could.

If you need help from a Realtor in your home search, I'll be happy to help you.  Feel free to reach out to me through my profile.  Zillow's rules prohibit me from posting my contact info here.

Naima