Profile picture for littlems

interested in vacant home--absent owner

My husband and I are interested in a home that has been vacant since 2009. It's an older house (19th century). The house needs a new roof (water leaking damaging the plaster on second and down to the first floors) etc. My concern is the house has been on the market forever and the owner lives in another state. While they have been told about these issues, I dont' think they realize how bad the situation is. Would it be out of line to submit pictures with our offer and contractor's estimates? We don't want to infuriate them, we would just like a reasonable negotiation, and since the house is overpriced AND has sat on the market for years, I'm worried that reasonable is not in our future. Thanks? 
  • October 26 2013 - US
  • 0

Profile picture for littlems
Thanks everyone! Yes, I'm anticipating a hard sell, and considering they've gone through multiple realtors over the last 5 years doesnt make our prospects any brighter. I will definitely look at their mortgages through the assessors office too.

Profile picture for Rebecca Marvel
Remember you cannot control how people react to anything.

Since you have a Buyers' Agent, you can make that communication though him/her.  Also, check the amount  of their  mortgages on the internet site for your County Auditor/County Assessor.  They may be underwater.

If you infuriate them will his saying NO hurt more? I doubt it so try it. I think the estimate is good enough but pictures along with an estimate would be a new one for me. A seller is often not persuaded with low offers and estimates for repair. My experience is they don't much care and feel the property is worth enough to wait for the offer they want, even to the point the house values declines a lot. Sounds like you will have a hard sale, but I wish you luck. Some owners just don't make good decisions sometimes. 

tim

You never know until you try. I would recommend first contacting their agent and him/her you know about the issues with the house and then present him with a friendly letter or email written by you to the owners explaining your thoughts and intention to want to make an offer but....