Profile picture for FairPhantom

is american homes 4 rent a scam?

I just worked w/ this company on getting pre-approved for a rental home.  Still waiting on the welcome email and lease documents to be sent to me, no money has exchanged hands yet.  I am trying to find anything out, as I want to make sure they are not a scam and am having trouble finding anything.  From what I read the company seems legit, but I can't seem to find any pertinent info for them, good or bad.  Has anyone worked with them on the rental of a home?  Specifically in the NC area?

June 19 2013 - Raleigh

Profile picture for Denise Rose Ivers
So, how did it turn out with American Homes 4 Rent?  We are getting ready to send them a money order..!!

15 hours ago
Profile picture for sumigray

I was doing a home modification loan through Bank of America when American Homes 4 Rent bought our home out from under us and then started charging us rent.We stayed in the house for 1 1/2 years and we cleaned everything when we left and they found a way to keep the 1575.00 deposit,(wrongfully I might add).
American homes 4 Rent is nothing but a bunch of criminals who found a way to steal peoples homes out from under them. They even tried to go back and charge us for $788.00 from when we signed the contract 1 year earlier. Like I said they are all a bunch of crooks, bad business stay as far away from them as you can!!! WHAT EVER YOU DO NOT RENT FROM THEM THEY WILL CHEAT YOU ANY WAY THEY CAN!!!!!

2 days ago
Profile picture for zuser20140409091356422

I can only tell you from my experience with this company are that they suck. My fiancé and I submitted our applications ($35 each) for a house in Houston Texas and where denied due to our credit score. The minimum score is 550. We both have a credit score way above that. Called to get clarification and just got the run around. Emailed the underwriters and still no reply a week later.

6 days ago
Profile picture for mmcenery1
Do NOT have anything to do with American Homes 4 Rent!  Once they have your money, it is impossible to get someone to call you back, or come to rental to repair problems, fix appliances, etc... Typical slum lords.
You will be charged $150 for cleaning upon move out  (no matter what the condition of house is in - ours was a mess going in w/ no cleaning done-altho our lease clearly stated it would be cleaned before move in) ...and $250 for painting. Worse company we have ever dealt with!
Shame on them for unfair, greedy, unprofessional business practices ...shame on me for not checking this site before signing!

July 03
Profile picture for zuser20140517155051849
They run a flim.flam, the person you deal with on phone is nobody just a Happy upbeat person, we have emailed property manger three times no response and was told they don't have phone numbers email only.Never met or heard from property manager. Ps LORI IN MAINTANCE YOU HATEFUL TROLL......KARMA......YES KARMA. SORRY IM POSTING NAMES RUDE, CONDESCENDING, LIER!!!

July 03
We moved in last week Orange Park.Fleming area, what a nightmare!!!.We have filed a complaint with the State to.find out there are.several.on file being looked into. Apparently this company does not pay there bills. We are in process of filing at our county courthouse to terminate lease due to.failure of Landlord Obligations to repair walkthrough video. We also.included company failed to.provided copy of walkthrough video for our records. ONE WEEK! Our rent is going to county untnour case is heard,up if judge finds in our favor which they will.They get NONE OF THE RENT!!!!!all becAuse of their severe.disorganization and lies!

July 03
Profile picture for nkmiller80
I just got out of a year lease with these guys in the Dallas area and it has been my WORST rental experience ever!  There is ZERO communication between any staff and you as the renter.  And to get a hold of anyone takes an act of God.  I didn't find out until I submitted my termination of lease letter (which I had to send to the signing agent, he was the only contact email I had) that I had a property manager the whole time.  That information was never passed on to me.  Then when I do email them, it takes 3-4 follow ups to get a response.  They also wanted to jack my rent up 200 dollars to sign another year.
  Don't rent from these guys if you have a choice!!

July 02
Profile picture for lagirl 77717
This has been the worst nightmare!  Our year lease is FINALLY up and we do hope to get our deposit returned.  If you have a choice, do not rent from them.  The local office is horrible.  I will say, I spoke to a rep in Las Vegas and he assured me he would help. So, he lied.  I have heard from no one and that has been a couple weeks.  Do not rent from this group!  Save your time and energy! 

July 01
Profile picture for zuser20140601181256947
These folks would not know customer/tenant service is it fell on top of their head.  No one associated with the company has the slightest authority, even the few of them capable of reading a request and thinking of a solution.  Dealing with them is a nightmare.  And then they raise your rent, regardless of market conditions.  There are less pleasant tenant relationships, but only in hell.

June 27
Profile picture for zuser20140625134428060
Where do you guys live  that have had bad experiences ??
THEY ARE NOT A SCAM, they are a legit company!

I know one of the crews that who works for them in the Houston, TX area getting them ready to rent and I can tell you they are very particular in making sure everything is done right. The person that I know that prepares these homes to be rented is also very professional in his work and make sure his workers do the job right and do it right the first time. So if you are looking in the Texas- Houston and surrounding areas I can say you will find that everything done to the home is done professionally, not bandaged like some people are say.

June 25
Profile picture for brglock
I would have to agree with the majority of the people on here. I rent in the Raleigh/ Durham area and I had a similar experience. Several things didn't work during the walkthrough that were never fixed. Then I found an issue with the subfloor being water damaged causing the wood floor to bubble, so now it is a tripping hazard. They all but ignored me for 6 months (when they realized the flooring would have to be replaced), I finally threatened to get an attorney, and then this guy shows up and drills a hole in the sub-floor from underneath the house and sprays expanding insulating foam between the sub-floor and the wood floors so they won't sink in when you walk over them. Except now the floor is uneven, these guys do not care about their tenants or their properties. I am going everywhere I can on the internet where people are talking about them, just to save someone else the aggravation of having to deal with this horrible company.

June 22
Profile picture for zuser20140422082454004
I HAD THE WORST EXPERIENCE WITH THIS COMPANY.     My wife and and I looked at several homes and finally found one that we loved.  After going through the ridiculous application process, we got an email congratulating us on our approval.  We sent them our deposit money, hired a mover to move us as we are relocating to the area from out of state.  We then gave notice to our current landlord that we would be vacating at the end of next month.  After doing all this, we got a call letting us know that...  OH, we are sorry but that house is not really available for rent, which caused even more stress to an already stressful situation. 

After all of this we then did our research to find other comments/complaints about this company.  Renter Beware!!!

June 22
Profile picture for zuser20140620092358701
TOTAL SCAM I WAS A CONTRACTOR FOR THEM THE OE ME A LARGE AMOUNT OF MONEYU HAVE YET TO BE PAID BY THEM! 

June 20
Profile picture for zuser20140620052153480
They are a scam in my opinion.   They rented me a home and I was 2 days into the home when the village comes to the front door to let me know the house has no occupancy permit and that American Homes 4 Rent knows it does not have any occupancy permit and should not have rented the house to you.  The Village taped a 'Danger Zone' sign on the front door.  That was 2 1/2 weeks ago in Monee, IL.  and I am still waiting for my $4,191 refund from those crooks.

June 20
Profile picture for zuser20140619142350002
Don't rent from them!!! They are horrible at responding to maintenance issues and horrible customer service. They lie to you and hide from their responsibility. I have been trying to contact a Manager for almost 2 months and he won't even at least acknowledge me calls. The homes are old, overpriced, and full of defects. Well at least mine is, and they won't budge!

Pathetic!

June 19
They are NOT a scam but I highly recommend you do NOT rent from them!! We have been with this company for 5 months now and want out badly!!! 

When we first moved in there were a bunch a little small things that needed to be fixed. The guy that did the walk through showed up an hour late and reeked of alcohol. He wrote up a sheet for the maintenance people to fix. After a month of calling and getting people to repeatedly on the phone to try and get them to come out here (they came three times) the only thing that got fixed was the hot water heater (they let us go without water for 4 days but would not deduct anything from the rent payment. We had to stay somewhere else). Everything else is still messed up! These issues were here BEFORE we moved in and we were told the day of move in that they would be there THAT WEEK to fix it.

All the toilet handles are still broken. Two of them do no flush correctly and half the time do not flush at all. Been here 5 months like I stated and they still have not fixed it. The people decided to start saying "we will send someone out there" and never followed through. The the small holes in the wall that were here are still here! Toilet paper holders have fallen off the wall. 

Homes are very cheaply built. Things do not hold up well at all. 

They do not care about the house at all just the pay check coming in. We never got a person until move in day to get the key but like I said he reeked of alcohol. He didnt do the walk through like he was supposed to just gave us the key, asked me to write the issues down, and said he would turn it in... 

We are renting in Columbia and are in the process of getting out of our lease. I would never recommend someone in an American Homes 4 Rent house EVER! 

June 19
This is the worst experience with a company I have ever had.  I travel a great deal with work and thought a house would be much more comfortable than a corporate apartment.  Looking at the homes was a breeze.  Then came the rental process.  What a joke!  I was told it would take a day or two to get the application approved and we would be good to go.  I submitted my app and was emailed and told I had to provide additional documents. It took me 24 hours to gather up the documents they needed.  I then am told they are not going to approve my application.  I called the "agent" assigned to my area TWICE and emailed her.  I get an email back the following day saying that I could submit more documentation but the house I was interested in has been leased.  My thoughts - wouldn't this have prompted a voice to voice contact to inform me of all this?  Is this not an unfair practice to not work with the current applicant before leasing the property to another person? 

I won't recommend this company to anyone - ever.  Purchasing my home was easier than this mess!

June 18
I saw a home in a very nice neighborhood in Columbia SC managed by AH4R. The comments here scare me a little.  I really like this home. Any complaints about them in the Columbia ares before I submit my info?

Likethehouse14

June 16
Profile picture for amber boothe
I hope that you take the time to read this in full because it is important.

To quickly answer your question, American Homes 4 Rent is NOT a scam.  They are real company and they really do own all the houses that they own and they do manage them themselves.

With that being said, I would like to caution you on renting from them.  It isn't that they are a bad company, it is just that the houses that they buy are typically super cheap houses with major problems that they can get cheap and put basically band aids on and rent out for, what SEEMS like good rates.  

We have been renting from them now for a month.  The process to get started was scary and I did a lot of research on them because they follow to many of the examples that people use to scam with. 
1.  You NEVER meet a single person in real life at all.  The first red flag
2.  You are asked to send a MONEY ORDER ONLY as EARNEST money OUT OF STATE.  Another red flag
3.  You are NOT presented with a lease or lease terms until AFTER you send that money to them and they receive it.  Another red flag
4.  When calling into the 'leasing agent' it is another out of state number.  Yet another red flag
5.  Pretty much ALL communication beyond looking at the house is done strictly via email.  SUPER red flag.
6.  Once a lease is FINALLY presented to you, it is all online and you have YET to talk to a person on the phone.... Are you scared yet?
7.  The move in inspection, once they have received your lease and you have given them a move in date, is not scheduled until the day BEFORE you are looking to move in..... SCARY!!!
8.  They expect the PRORATED RENT to be paid ALSO BEFORE the 1st move in day.... Are you ready to run yet?
9.  If you have enough courage to get this far, once you move in, GOOD LUCK ON ANY EMERGANCY CALLS!!!

So what they do is come into these houses and make them LOOK pretty as cheap as possible.  They use caulking and paint to cover up issues that lie underneath.  For example.... Base boards.... CAULKED to the wall instead of nailed so you can't see if there is any possible water damage.  Light fixtures, they put up NICE fixtures in the house, but after night 1, we had a bathroom light bar fall from the wall and is hanging from wires against the mirror.  Called in to let them know into the maintenence number, and no ticket was created.  Called about it again on week 2 of living here, still no ticket created, I created a ticket in their online system on Monday, it is Wednesday and still no one has been assigned to fix the fixture HANGING by BARE WIRES from the wall.  You can see where they put the fixture up with CAULK instead of screws and a mounting plate...which, when the windows were opened to move in the house, the caulk didn't deal well against paint and humidity.  Also, on Monday, Reported that the dishwasher had standing water in the bottom of it after our first load was run in it.  No response to the ticket.  Last night, came home to water POURING out of the basement ceiling directly under the dishwasher.... Called in for EMERGANCY 24 SUPPORT to be told, systems are down for a few hours and once they are back up that they will create a ticket for it and someone will be out with in 24 hours to deal with the problem.  ARE YOU SERIOUS?!! 24 HOURS FOR A LEAK IN THE CEILING?!!!  Then, the next day at NOON they send out a vendor.... THEY SENT A WATER RESTORATION COMPANY~~~ To which the company says, 'we can't clean up the mess until the problem is fixed' and i call into the support line and again was told, we will have a plumber out with in 24 hours for the problem... so 2 days now of running water pouring out the sheet rock ceiling onto my furniture and into boxes that still aren't unpacked and the solution to STOP the leaking?? "Just shut off the water main to your house"  So how many days will I go with out water??????   I am NOT impressed with their emergancy response.  I can DEAL with the fact that they want to take a month to fix a hanging light or the fact that the front door knob FALLS OFF if you turn it a little to much or the garage door is split down the middle and needs to be replaced because if it opens up, it will collapse and fall down and tear everything up.... but an EMERGANCY like WATER LEAKING should be IMMEDIATE!!!  Not 24 hours!!!  

So, in conclusion, they ARE a REAL company.  They DO seem a little scary to deal with at first.... But in the end, if you can deal with the emergancy stuff yourself, and you can deal with lengthy maintenence stuff, then go ahead.  Oh, by the way.  Don't call a plumber or something yourself and expect to be reimbursed because they make it clear that they won't do that.  Also, don't try calling THEIR vendors and asking them directly to take care of issues for emergancies because they won't do it with out a work order because they won't get PAID unless they are assigned the job FIRST....

June 11
Profile picture for zuser20140611105748115
We have been in an AmericanHomes4Rent home since January when we moved to Indianapolis. They have been very reponsive to our maintenance requests and everything is good with our rental.  We live in the Geist area and I have referred many people to the company for home rentals. 

As far as fees, if you pay your rent with a check, there is no fee. If you use a credit/debit card there is a fee. I wish that weren't the case because I could rack up some airline miles on my cc, but I'm ok paying with an electronic check. And if I preferred, I could pay my rent with a Money Order or check at their office on Castleton. 

I wish I could pay my water bill directly, however, the law does not allow that in Indianapolis. 

June 11
Profile picture for zuser20140611100442671
American Homes 4 Rent is over the top with their fees. I paid my rent of $1200 online at a cool convenience fee of $27 on the 1st of the month, on the 4th of the month I received an email for my water bill that has to be paid through AH4R. Now, I have to pay the $54 bill online for an additional online convenience fee of $17!!! It would've made better sense to at least send me the bill before the 1st of every month, right!! Of course any payment you make has to be online or Fed Ex because there's no US mail service to their payment centers. At this rate, I have calculated that it cost's me $324 to pay my rent and $204 to pay me water over the course of my 1 year lease! Guess who won't be renewing their lease!

June 11
Profile picture for zuser20140611073137744
I am a Realtor and had placed a few of my rental clients in homes through American Homes 4 Rent and then I decided to rent one myself. It took 4 days to get my application approved (which I was told would be done the first day I applied). I was also told at lease signing that there is no right of early termination whatsoever should I be unable to fulfill my lease. I met with the move-in inspector on my move in day and they had forgot to have the property (including the disgusting carpets) cleaned. The grass was about 3 foot high at this point too due to them forgetting to send their lawn crew out prior to me moving in. A week after I moved in the AC went out completely. I had AC repair people out to the property SIXTEEN  TIMES before the AC issue was resolved. There were minor repairs that needed to be done at the time that I moved in that were never completed after I was assured they would be (the living room ceiling fan was broken, the shower leaked, and there was a leak under the sink). The move in inspection noted that there were holes and marks on the walls and the overall condition of the property that was mediocre at best. I have since fulfilled my lease and moved out. American Homes 4 Rent kept almost HALF of my security deposit for items that were clearly listed on my move-in inspection. They claimed they could not locate the move in inspection and that the employee who conducted it with me must have misfiled it. They do not return calls or emails in a timely fashion if at all and are overall just a horrible company to rent from. Another sidenote is that they by policy increase their rental amounts substantially every year so this is not a good place to rent from if you plan to stay longer than 1 year. Look elsewhere!

June 11
Profile picture for zuser20140609230644066
They are horrible we worked for them for 7 months absolutely horrible to get payment from. I am still waiting for payments. BEWARE  horrible unprofessional rude pass the buck company. Do not rent from them..........do not work for them............. YOU WILL GET SCREWED............

June 09
Profile picture for fb826598238
This is my third time posting in here. We had no problems with them last year, when we were originally looking, other than they seemed a little unorganized. That was understandable--they were new to NC. Over the past year we've had no issues. We are getting ready to sign another lease. Unfortunately, they did raise the rent with the renewal but that is standard, I hear. Thankfully, our rent only went up $30.00. Not too bad. 

On Wednesday I heard a leaking sound in the downstairs bathroom. I saw the toilet was gushing water. I reported it online and called the 1800 number. Someone came to fix it yesterday--less than 24 hours after I reported it. There was some damage to the wood floors. I reported that online today and I hope to see what they will do. 

No complaints still!

June 06
Profile picture for zuser20140606075706331
we recently rented a property from them. shortly after moving in we had a really bad thunderstorm and the windows in the dinning room leak. we sent in a maintenance requet and heard nothing back. Well it has rained several times  and the problem was never fixed. No one has ever contacted us and I sent several requests for this problem we are looking fir a new place and will break this lease. stay away from this company. .

June 06
Profile picture for zuser20140606064712958
Funny how most people use these "message boards" (aka "forums") to voice mostly negative crap. Like everything else in life, such dealings or experiences WILL NOT be the same for everyone. I'm currently renting from them in the Triad NC area and ZERO problems with maintenance requests or property management in general. In fact, will more than likely need to relocate and terminate lease early and they're already working with me to find new renter. So yea, YMMV.

June 06
Profile picture for FairPhantom
Oddly enough soon after we moved in and I was job hunting, I saw that my local office was looking for property managers.  I've never been one before, but the qualifications didn't seem like anything I couldn't handle as I do have somewhat of a real estate background.  I thought about applying for it, but thought if I was working for the company and renting from them at the same time it might be some kind of conflict of interest or something.  Anyway I ended up finding a job elsewhere so I ended up forgetting about it.  But sometimes I think if I did work there, there would be a lot less complaints about them, at least in my local area!  Just a funny observation.  

June 04
Profile picture for zuser20140604105116517
I have had nothing but trouble when trying to get maintenance issues resolved. They do NOT answer phone calls or emails. We like our house ans it was very clean and taken care of when we moved in but beyond that it has been a big pain. I would never rent from them again!!!!

June 04
Profile picture for zuser20140603155851098
Hello FairPhantom

Although I have very little positive to say about the employees (most appear incompetent) Yes the company is legit, I too had the same concerns as I was relocating from MN to NC and had no idea how to go about it (having never rented before) and attempting to find a reputable property management company/rental property from a distance was a challenge. 

June 03
"Well now after stating I was going to FAIR HOUSING & Better Business Bureau.  they did contact me with information and gave me original documents."

lol It's good that they are reading online complaints. Some reports for other american homes 4 rent clients have not turned out as well, so I am happy to hear that you got what you needed after posting.

I guess the lesson is keep EVERYTHING in writing with American Homes 4 Rent, complain by phone then if that fails complain publicly online and then threaten to submit your issue to the BBB and Fair Housing Office. So glad it worked out for you zuser...589. Thanks for posting the update for other people.

May 30