Profile picture for FairPhantom

is american homes 4 rent a scam?

I just worked w/ this company on getting pre-approved for a rental home.  Still waiting on the welcome email and lease documents to be sent to me, no money has exchanged hands yet.  I am trying to find anything out, as I want to make sure they are not a scam and am having trouble finding anything.  From what I read the company seems legit, but I can't seem to find any pertinent info for them, good or bad.  Has anyone worked with them on the rental of a home?  Specifically in the NC area?
  • June 19 2013 - Raleigh
  • 32

It's not a scam but they are one of the worst companies you could ever rent from.  If I could describe my renting experience with them in two words it would be "extremely horrible.."  I would find another agency if you could.
  • 13 hours ago

Profile picture for kferguson2010
sound like a big ripoff. I just moved in they home. they now telling me they going to evict me because my church paid them a check for my rent and deposit and they want two seperate cashiers checks one for rent and one for the deposit.why they want take the check from the church. they sent it back. it is they fault.
  • 3 days ago

Profile picture for kaleigh95
It does not matter who your local agent is. I would be interested in an update from the tenant in Kennesaw, GA when they move out. My money is on them keeping the deposit and adding a healthy dose of additional charges. A leopard doesn't change it's spots.
  • 6 days ago

Profile picture for keanone
I rented with them also and they kept all my deposit I had to cover half the cost to repaint the whole house I don't recommend them to anyone they are terrible. I left there property in excellent condition and they screwed me out of my deposit. Worst rental company ever!!!!
  • 6 days ago

"AH4R is a legitimate rental company."

Although I agree that AH4R is not a scam per se, calling them a legitimate company may be a stretch based on how they treat their tenants and routinely keep deposits without cause.
  • 6 days ago

No, they are not a scam. AH4R is a legitimate rental company. I am currently renting from them, going on a year and a half now. I think it depends on who your property manager is. I dislike the corporate office, but have had no problems locally (Kennesaw, GA). The house we are renting is wonderful. AH4R put in brand new carpets, new appliances (cheap appliances, yes, but new and in good condition), and new paint. My only problem is the paint. It is contractor-grade and absorbs every little smudge, but that is par for the course for rental houses.
  • 6 days ago

Profile picture for tmhall22

Worst company ever!!! You will pay for everything including things you didn;t agree on.  They will not answer your calls and will send you all over the city to see homes that have already been taken. Scam is the word for them. We paid 3 times for our application and every home they said we had was already rented. They only keep your app active for 30 days and if you don't like any other home...you have to pay again for another app fee. We had a rental truck and our condo boxed up...went to check out the house for measurements....and found a family moving into our home. They told us we would just have to pick another home because their app went through 20 minutes earlier......WHAT??? Then another app fee. Good luck and God bless.....your going to need it.

• April 25

Profile picture for kaleigh95
Not to be rude, but does it matter WHERE you are considering renting frim AH4R? The geographical location has less than nothing to do with the unethical, illegal practices they have managed to survive under. If reading this thread doesn't convince you to run as far from them as possible, nothing will. You likely deserve the treatment you are about to sign up for. I saw the house I broke the lease on in November finally has a new victim in it. I wanted to stop and let them know what their future looks like, but it is probably too late...they have signed on the line. I wish them the best however it is to no avail. This company will be forced out of business if and when enough people wise up and stop feeding their money machine. I did....
  • April 25

WORST COMPANY EVER!!! We rented for a year and a half and they never fixed anything. The AC went out twice and in 100+ degrees in the middle of July in texas they told me fixing it wasn't an emergency. Then when I fixed it myself and subtracted it from my rent like the maintenance lady said, they fought me over it for 3 months saying they never authorized me to get it repaired myself. I had maintenance requests go unanswered for 6 months at a time and had to threaten to move out for them to finally come fix something. The dishwasher never worked and when the sink broke it took them 3 weeks to fix it. We are a family of 5 and had to wash dishes in the bath tub and they still took their time to fix it and didn't care about us or our health/safety at all. We auto paid our rent on time every month and they treated us like dirt. All they want is your money. I had 4 different property managers and every time I called I was on hold for hours and still got the run around. We moved out in December 2014 and as of today, April 25th 2015, we haven't been sent a move out check list. Yesterday I got a letter from a collection agency saying we owe them over $4,000! I'm finding a lawyer and suing them as soon as possible! They are complete slumlords! DO NOT RENT FROM THEM!!
  • April 25

Profile picture for zuser20140417174048526
I am a disabled veteran and single father and due to a student loan that payments were started to be deducted from my disability that I was unaware of at the time I made my rent payment and the check didn't clear. Now with all the fees and for a year this has been the only month I have had a problem. I woke to an eviction notice or show cause paper taped to my door. I am trying to get help to make up that payment since alot was burned up of fees and overdraft charges. I have no clue what my daughter and I are going to except to ask for a hearing and let the judge know how these people are and try to keep our home, I hate renting from them but this happens to be the best area and schools.
  • April 23

Profile picture for ThreeC designs
I am a Real Estate Broker who sold a rental with American Homes for Rent and They have just refuse to pay me my commissions. They are greedy and rude and racist. I believe if I was white they would have paid. I plan on suing them.
  • April 23

Profile picture for ThreeC designs

I am a Real Estate Broker and this company accepted one of my clients for rental on there property here in the Houston, TX area . They have refuse to pay any commissions on the rental. They are cheap and rude. I have not had this problem with any other management company. I believe if I was white they would have paid the commission. I plan on suing the company.

• April 23

Profile picture for donnaahmed1963
I rent from them in fl there very good
  • April 23

Profile picture for pamm 423
"Anyone with experience with AH4R in Central Ohio? I have not been able to find any reviews good or bad for them in my area??"

I found a facebook page called American Homes for Rent Nightmares and I think they are from the OH area.  Everyone on here should go "like" that page and share there.  It might get more views of people who might not be researching for complaints but just for info and then they'll steer clear.  We were very close to signing a lease with them in the Raleigh, NC area but after reviewing these reviews we decided against it.  We would have had to pay for our entire year up front and we just can't risk handing over our savings to a company like this.  No way!
  • April 22

Profile picture for txblackgoddess
DO NOT SIGN A LEASE WITH THEM. My family is moving out of one of their homes this Thursday. We moved to Durham, NC area last April from . We signed the lease and everything was great until October of 2014. That's when it started to get cold outside. We complained non stop about the house not properly heating up correctly. I repeat that was in October 2014. My family suffered all throughout the winter without any heat in the house. My mother has kidney disease and needs heat year round in here room because she tends to get cold very often. This company is so heartless because I have a infant and a six year old and they still did nothing at all about the heating system. At February 2015, they finally sent someone out to our house. The contractor that they sent out to our house did not even know what he was doing. He kept asking me questions and just told us that we needed to buy some new air filters and left. I wasn't even fully recovered from giving birth to my child and I changed the filters myself. March 2015 heat still wasn't working. So my mother and them told them that we are not resigning a lease with them due to the house HVAC improperly not working. Little did I know, when I was about to pay the rent for April 2015 (this month) we were charged for air filters being changed. Pregnant and postpartum, I have changed the air filters myself. According to Shani Bullock at the office in Durham, NC the contractor/vendor that they sent out lied and said that he changed all the air filters. And she told us that she can not remove the charges of $133.75 for two air filters. AMERICAN HOMES FOR RENT IS THE WORST RENTAL COMPANY EVER. I wouldn't even recommend them to even a homeless. I'm going to take pictures of every single room when we are all moved out this Thursday. I do not trust this company at all. My family went six whole months without heat and no one did anything and they blamed the issue on us. 
  • April 21

Profile picture for CLVANDAGRIFF
Anyone with experience with AH4R in Central Ohio? I have not been able to find any reviews good or bad for them in my area??
  • April 21

They are legit.  My wife and I currently rent from AH4R in Rowlett, TX.  We moved in in Dec 2013.  We wanted a house that wouldn't be sold a year later and found that AH4R is really in the rental business, not the house sale business.  They have been pretty good to deal with.  They really try to save money at every turn, but that's something that I'd want if I were one of the investors.  They raised the rent $75 after our first year which we figured would happen just like storage facilities raise their rents after a year.  Hopefully, that was the last raise for a few years.  Over all...we are satisfied.  Sorry I can't help you in the NC area.  Fully document the condition of the house and keep the photos and make sure they are dated.  Buy renter's insurance and get to know your property manager. 
  • April 21

Profile picture for cmvolpi
They r a scan and liars
  • April 21

Profile picture for cmvolpi
They r a scam. We have paid them on time and they never came out to fix our complaints.
  • April 21

Profile picture for cmvolpi
They are such a scam it's not funny. Don't give them any of you're money. They say we have to leave cause we were victims. And want to evict us even tho we have police reports for their prestige property. Then why did we get vandalized and it's our fault? All they want is our money. Can't stand then and would never do business w them again. They r a scam
  • April 21

We currently rent from AH4R.  They raised the rent $75 after the first year, but aside from that, they have been good to deal with.  If we were looking for another rental, we would start with AH4R here in the Dallas area.  We are comfortable that they are in the house rental business and will not force us out to sell the home.  If they raise the rent again next year, we will change our support for them, but for now, I'd say they are pretty good.
  • April 20

"They seem money hungry and it sounds like they will make it hard to get our security deposit back."

Many who have rented from AH4R have that same concern and find it is warranted when they move out. I hope you choose not to rent from them, but if you do make sure and take dated photos of EVERY surface, inside wall, outside walls, oven, toilet, carpet etc when you move in detailing any damage on a checklist that you ask them to sign.

During your tenancy request ALL repairs and issues in writing with proof of delivery by mail or with a bcc email. Take photos of any repairs made or needed. Do not rely on anything with AH4R that is not in writing and keep all your own records.

When you move out, take another set of dated photos of the same surfaces along with an updated checklist noting any additional damage. Otherwise, they will keep your deposit and you will be unable to defend yourself in court. Be smart if you rent from them or you may be their next unhappy tenant.
  • April 20

Profile picture for pamm 423
These people monopolize the Raleigh NC market here.  While I'd rather not rent from them I don't know what choice we have.  We have a lease drawn up as we speak but have not signed it yet.  They are requiring us to pay the entire year ($15K) up front due to a credit issue even though we have been renting from an individual for the past 18 months with a perfect record.  After reading the lease and finding out that they will bill us $9.99 per month to bill us for our utilities I am now wondering.  They seem money hungry and it sounds like they will make it hard to get our security deposit back.  Just don't know where else we can rent from.. This is upsetting.
  • April 20

Profile picture for adida7848
Worst company I have ever rented from...and is the tenth. They charge for repairs that are not your fault. They do not answer calls. They turn off online accounts when they feel like it. Local property manager in denver is very rude. Never ever rent from this company. We liked it for the first 4 months then the company refuses they help in any way. Should have a class action lawsuit against them for all the faulty fees and deposits they keep.
  • April 20

Profile picture for mdblaylock
I had a horrible experience with American homes 4 rent in Lawrenceville Georgia. They took our deposits, and didn't even try to work with us for the 1st month, kept losing our documents, having me re-send them, over and over. It was Feb, and they said they were busy, like the summer! Very unprofessional. Whoever is assigned to you is who you have to communicate with, and Vanessa Dent was either on vacation, or too busy to help us. But cashed the $70 right away. Seek a more reputable real estate agency!!! M. Blaylock
  • April 19

I was in desperate need of a place to live with my children.
  My home is going into foreclosure and having to look for somewhere to go with a shirt notice and not far this was perfect. 
 Big mistake they are money hungry and thirsty I can call all day until I turn a different  color and either  the mailbox is full or just no response to your call. 
 I was struggling with my mortgage but being here I should have stayed longer at the foreclosed home because  I'm basically  paying the  same thing here. 
 They are a big rip off and I wish I could sue them because this is bs every month someone is at the door with a notice. I can never get a hold of anyone. I had a problem with the front door it took a week to come and fix it in the heart of winter in Chicago. 
 I could not get into the house unless through the garage door and my children were just out unless someone was home but they want to charge attorney fees, late fees, and everything else. Yet they cannot respond to your issues. 

• April 19

Everything Im reading sounds like every property management company I ever rented from. Sorry but these rantings are not the sole antics of AH4R, The company Im renting for now I doubt that I will ever see the deposit even though the home is in BETTER condition than when I moved in. i.e. new door new breakers etc.
So for what Im reading I have to do my own investigation.
  • April 18

Profile picture for frankjordan754
[Hotlink deleted. See our Good Neighbor Policy.]
  • April 18

Profile picture for aaaagm01
We have rented and renewing our lease for 4th time here in Las Vegas, first 2 years no rent increase then last time rent only went up $20 and this time another $20. No big deal and why would anyone move into a filthy home did you not see it beforehand, our home was immaculate when we moved in, freshly painted new fridge, washer and dryer, the air conditioner did die on move in day and they replaced with new efficient one. Every issue we have had they take care of it right away, except for time my husband broke the toilet himself trying to change something in it. We were responsible for that ourselves but even our renters insurance would not cover it either since he broke it. We have had better help with them than any apt. we have lived at and omg the private homeowner we rented from once was a nitemare. We truly have had no issues like 99% on here so maybe seems like a few markets are horrible but Las Vegas they are pretty great here.
  • April 18

In GREENSBORO, do not do it! Same division I dealt with! I hope you can get out since you have signed a lease...too much stress and money lost....
  • April 15

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5
  6. ...
  7. 15