Profile picture for Connie Klemme

is it OK for these mobile home companies to "list" on zillow- it's NOT REAL ESTATE!

I've run across this a few times now.  the latest one the address is 305 S. Morgan Rd, Tuttle.  It looks like an incredible deal because the land has nearly 12 acres and a double wide mobile home all for just over $50k.  However...its not actually the LAND that is for sale it is the mobile home only.   Is it OK for these companies to use zillow?  what's next?? are they going to start selling RVs and Boats here???  I've reported the listing already but I wondered if maybe this was OK?  seems wrong to me.
  • August 29 2011 - Tuttle
  • 0

First off, There is no such thing as a "Mobile Home" they are "Manufactured Homes" Mobile Homes were constructed prior to June 15th, 1976.

Further more, you can not even compare a Manufactured Home to RVs or Boats.

FHA, Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac, & the VA will finance a "Manufactured Home Only" if it meets certain criteria...which is a form of Housing, I have never heard of RVs or Boats being considered a form of housing.

Every add/listing that me or my associates list does in fact specifically state that the home must be relocated to the buyers location or the home has been elected as Real Property and considered a land/home package in the State of Texas.  

I see nothing wrong with allowing Manufactured Homes to be advertised on Zillow, as long as the listing agent is properly licensed and discloses the necessary information required by law.

JDL

Profile picture for Connie Klemme
the problem is that it's NOT clear.  because they list it at the address where the home currently is and the zillow record shows the information such as the acreage and the location.   
no mention of lot rent or anything...just listed it as a manufactured home for sale.  so those companies are using zillow like craigslist.

the problem is...customer views it thinking it's an incredible deal on the house at the location, calls agents that paid to advertise here...only to find out that the house isn't what was advertised, customer frustrated with zillow for allowing it- how does zillow win that situation?  doesn't matter if the agent can smooth it over.  it was a misleading listing.

Profile picture for wordsmth
I don't know what Zillow's policy is, so I can't comment on that. However, while I understand your concern, my tendency is to go the other way--so long as it's clear just what's being offered.

Where I am (Northern Virginia) it's acceptable to market manufactured homes in parks on the MLS. And I've done it myself. It is a residence. Here in Virginia, they're titled by the DMV, like automobiles, but you buy them and you live in them. The ground rent is separate and it's important to make clear in the listing that there is ground rent. But if you're buying a condo, there's a condo fee; if you're buying a coop, there's the coop fee. And in some cities (such as Baltimore), a lot of the property requires an annual ground rent payment. So long as the buyer is clear about what he/she is or isn't getting--and so long as we're talking about a structure in which a person lives--I don't see a major problem with that.