Profile picture for zuser20140612042736150

is it better to deal with listing agent or get own agent?

• August 02 2014 - US
  • 0

The best way to make sure you are properly represented is to get your own agent. They will have your best interest in mind.  A listing agent has a fiduciary duty to the seller.

By all means, get your own agent! When I have a contract with someone, one of my primary responsibilities is to look out for the best interest of my client. If I represent the seller, part of that is to get the highest price in the shortest time. If I represent the buyer, I'm going for the lowest price. I have yet to figure out how I can accomplish both of those in the same transaction.

The way I work my contracts with my buyers, they rarely pay any or all of my commission yet they get 100% of my experience and knowledge. So, what is the advantage of not having your own agent?

I answered your other question, and I'd like to comment on this one as well.

Normally, you should have your own agent, and you get the most out of that agent by having them help you from the beginning of the home search through the close of your purchase.

If you have already picked out a house, I believe you're better off working with the listing agent (so long as they are a dual agent or transactional agent) then you'd be by going out and getting a "hired gun" to negotiate on your behalf, because the hired gun truly has no incentive to lose the deal for you by over-negotiating.

The poster below appears to believe that one cannot be a salesperson and a true agent simultaneously, they are wrong.

Profile picture for hpvanc
If you can find that rare agent that know what it means to represent the buying side of the transaction and  truly works in a buying/purchasing capacity probably. If you use a typical agent that calls themselves a "buyer's" agent but considers themselves a salesperson and works in a selling capacity it really doesn't make a difference.

Contact a Accredited Buyers Representative. ABR. Go to REBAC.NET

Get your "own" Buyer Agent!