Profile picture for cmrrt

is it worth paying for the mls listing?

I was told it might not be worth it since I'm selling without an agent.  Will agents stay away from my house because there is no commision for them?

September 06 2013 - Danvers

It is worth putting your house on the MLS to get more exposure, but in doing so you may be agreeing to pay a buyer's agent commission (between 1-4% of the sales price in my area) even if you use a flat fee listing service.

As a FSBO, you can choose to price on the MLS to include your offered commission to give you the same net and/or offer a 1-4% price reduction to buyers who choose to make an offer without an agent. Then the buyer can choose what they want to do.

You have to do what will get your house sold. I think MLS is a good start. Advertising, good photos, making sure your house is priced right and making sure your house shows well is the best way to get it sold.

Yes the MLS will bring your home the most views. I would advise offering some sort of buyer's agent commission on your home.

even a limited brokerage provides a service. Yes you will be better off. There are not a whole lot of listings on the market you need to exposure to buyers working with agents.

If you really want to sell the MLS is where you need to be. Also post your listings on craigslist if you have your own open houses.

I just took over a listing for a seller who tried to sell the home on theory own and did not have any success. I put their home under agreement with in 2 weeks of listing it for $20,000 higher that the seller was previously asking. It does not always work out this way but if you have an experienced agent who knows how to market a property not just only on MLS can more than pay for themselves. All while relieving the seller of all the aggregation that goes on during the sale once an offer has been accepted. Contact me if you like

You can not be in the MLS without a Realtor putting you there. No online company can add you to the MLS, they just can't so I am not sure what you have been told but it's not available to you as a FSBO.

Two questions:

Can you sell without being on the MLS?   Certainly.

Will agents stay away from your home because there is no commission for them?  Yes, this is quite possible.   Most FSBO sellers do pay the buyer's agent commission (even when not on the MLS).  If you are in a super duper hot sellers' market, then don't worry about it.   The current paradigm is that the seller pays agent commissions.   (I disagree with the current paradigm, but if selling my home today I'd want it sold, not to make a polical statement)