is there a way to figure out property footprint?

I know I can get lot size and finished property sq ft through the API, but what if the property has multiple floors? I assume the property sq ft is a total of all the floors.
  • January 16 2012 - Indianapolis
  • 0

.. for what purpose ?

I'm trying to figure out the size of the lawn as opposed to property/house.

I was thinking that i could just subtract the finished property sq ft from the lot size, but the possibility of multiple floors makes that difficult.

I see - for a new lawn or topping or something...

I would simply try to measure the area you needed directly. If you do it the other way, it can be deceiving...Check this link out..

http://www.bloomingidiotlawncare.com/?p=551

Profile picture for blue screen exile
If your city has maximum lot coverage limits in the Zoning Code, the city may have that data.

My preference has always been to "measure" on site, draw in a CAD program, then have the CAD program tell me the areas and ratios.

If one has no access to the site, the next best thing is to trace the satellite photos, then scale the drawing by the actual lot size., then have the CAD program give you the areas and ratios.  Remember the property boundaries shown on sites like this can easily be off 10 ft or more in each direction.  Actual fences may be more accurate than the computer drawn boundary lines, but they can easily be off a foot or more from the property line too.  And the auto-stitching of satellite images is known to create additional problems for using as scaled drawings.  I've seen stitching errors of more than 15 ft.

Don't forget, that for landscaping, you want to go all the way to the building walls, not stopping at the roof overhangs, so the assumptions about amount of roof overhang are also critical when using satellite images.

Also remember, you typically don't want grass where the driveway or walkways are.

And if you have a steep sloped property, you will have more grass area than the "plan" area would imply.   You need to compensate for the slope in your calculations.