Profile picture for hardwrkr

kitchen cabinets

I would like to renovate my Oak cabinets with Maple by having them refaced. The doors will be solid wood. It eliminates the hassel of removing countertop, appliances, & painting...Our current cabinets are in pretty good shape. They are just Oak and I would like to update them. This is our first home, have only been here one year. My question is - will refacing versus replacing affect resale value? We don't plan to move for another 8-10 years or so...Thanks!
  • August 23 2010 - US
  • 0

Profile picture for ABBAUSA
If you end up with a professionally completed look, you should be in good shape. Make sure the resurfacing company is giving a warranty of 10 years or so. It must look first class and top rate otherwise don't make this investment.

James Callas - Realtor®

My biggest concern on refacing an oak cabinet would be the wood grain that would still be on the base cabinets. I have seen oak cabinets painted and the grain shows through it. With refacing, typically the doors are replaced to update the look of the cabinetry. The base of the cabinets would usually be re-used. In 8-10 years the cabinets would no longer be new if you replaced them. I do not think any significant value would be added. If you think you would enjoy them enough to pay for them and use them while you live there- replace them.

Generally refacing, when professionally done, is a great way to spruce up or modernize a kitchen.   I agree with another post that if you change to maple doors over oak base, you may have an issue unless they are all painted out, rather than staining.   Talk to a good contractor and ask him the most economical way to achieve the look you want.   As long as the job is done well should be no problem for resale.  Good luck.