lf you are using a REALTOR to market and sell your home, what do you like about your marketing plan?

If you sold ahome with a REALTOR, how would you rate your experience? Please respond and be honest. My goal is to provide quality service to sell real estate and I hope to use your comments to improve on what I currently offer in my marketing plans. Thanks.
  • May 25 2010 - Florence

Profile picture for rockinblu
Hi Monica,

Excuse me for barging in here. I probably don't fit the demographic you're looking for. However, I have a few things that if I were ever in a selling situation again, and was looking for an agent, I would like in the agent's marketing plan. These are not in any way listed in order of importance to me.

1. A brokers' open within the first week after the signing of the listing agreement.

2. Whether it would really make any difference or not, but to be on the safe side, I would like a slightly unequal split on the commission favoring the buy side.

3. Featured listings on both Zillow and Trulia as well as a Showcase listing on Realtor.com.

4. Using a syndication service such as postlets.com to feed a "Plus" version of the listing to their various syndication partners.

5, Vflyers sent to agents.

6. Top notch photos, and plenty of them preferably taken by a professional, or a presentation of the realtor's actual work that could pass for the same.

7. A 360 degree VT.

8. Professional looking flyers with a yard box. Again, a sample of the work should be available at the listing presentation.

9. A listing on craigslist that would be deleted and re-posted every 3 days.

10. An open house once a month with an ad in the local paper as well as posted where available on the various internet sites.

11. It goes without saying that price is marketing. I would want a comprehensive honest CMA to show me exactly at what price point we should be entering the market with, and a solid reduction strategy if it fails initially.

12. Advice on what I need to do to improve the house's marketability, as well as the agent providing professional staging.

I hope this helps, and it's encouraging to see that you are actually interested in improving your service. More should. 

BTW, I didn't mention the MLS as that obviously would be a given.

Profile picture for natewolf

I'm glad they are not in order of importance.

It is against CL policy to delete / repost items every 3 days.

I was a photo editor and award winning magazine publisher prior my Real Estate career. And one recent "buyer's presentation" included more than 140 photos posted for an out of town buyer. Virtual Tours are helpful, but I actually find that many of the new "gadgets" are just gadgets and don't actually help sell homes.

Correctly priced homes, with agents that know the market, and know FINANCING and how to get a home to closing-- that's what you need.

Just hiring an agent to put some flash site online with your address as the web address, or make some flyers for a box in front of your house, or [insert marketing scheme here] -- that's short sighted.

It has to close. As a Coldwell-Banker agent recently cc'd me on their email to the bank they represented, "If it wasn't for this agent [Nate Wolf], this transaction would never have closed."    Now that's a reference I'm proud to share with clients.

Profile picture for rockinblu
"It is against CL policy to delete / repost items every 3 days."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Nathan,

The last thing I heard there are 24hrs in a day- 3x24=72. Check out the link below. It clearly states that deleting and reposting can be done after 48 hrs. I've been doing it for years without a problem.http://www.craigslist.org ... postOften

Futhermore, while this thread was not directed at people specifically in my situation, it sure as hell wasn't put up for you to brag about a reference you received, or an award. Have you ever seen or heard of someone showing a bad reference  when applying for a position, and what does that have to do with the question about marketing anyway?

"Just hiring an agent to put some flash site online with your address as the web address, or make some flyers for a box in front of your house, or [insert marketing scheme here] -- that's short sighted."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Like that's the only thing I posted, but yes I do consider it marketing and if I remember correctly that's what this thread is really about. If you think I'm being short-sighted in expecting flash online and flyers in RE marketing, that's your opinion. As they say opinions are like a$$holes...everybody has one.

Profile picture for natewolf

Perhaps you missed the point.

I have a degree in Marketing. But just buying a bunch of ads (or expecting a Realtor to do so on your behalf), or having an open house -- which is basically ineffective in Florence, South Carolina (I am licensed in South Carolina and familiar with the market), or any of these other ways to market a property is basically ineffective to actually sell a home in the Florence, SC market.

Correct pricing. Ability to get the contract to close. Those are the two things of most importance in this market.

Having a listing presentation which shows (1) How a correctly priced home will sell more quickly, for closer percentage to list price, (2) Agent's ability to get the property SOLD, not just "marketed". . . those are the two most important things.

My point was : Who cares how great the advertising is, how beautifull the brochures are, how professional the radio advertisement is, how many times it's listed on Craigslist. Our market is dominated by buyers with Buyer Agency Agreements.

Your best suggestion was "slightly unequal split on the commission favoring the buy side." I would add to this, the possiblity of a buyer's agent's BONUS with a full price offer. Most of my listings are this type.

"I would add to this, the possiblity of a buyer's agent's BONUS with a full price offer. Most of my listings are this type."

Sorry, but that sounds like providing an incentive to the buyer's agent to collude with you against their client's best interests. With all the blah-blah-blah about needing a buyer's agent to make sure you are effectively represented, this incentive sure casts a different light on the profession.

Given the majority of buyers and lookers do a huge amount of research online, I think rock's stress on online presence, presentation, and really really good photos is very good advice.

From my own perspective, if the agent suggests changes or staging to enhance/fix/improve presentation, but plans to takes photos before the presentation is improved ---- run, they don't get it.

I could never be rockinblu's agent. That's just more than I care to do right now and would cut too deeply into my projected profit.

Profile picture for rockinblu
Nathan,

Okay, after looking at Monica's listings, let me step back into the real world for a while.

Do I honestly think 360VT should be done on every listing? No.
Do I think every listing should be a "Showcase Listing" on Realtor.com? Again no.
Do I think a 19k fixer-upper should be professionally staged? Not hardly.
As far as open houses, yeah I know they're not known to be very productive, but you just never know where that buyer is going to come from.

However, since most buyers start their search on the internet, yes I think great photos, virtual tours where appropriate,  and maximum exposure,  should be in an agent's marketing plan. The days of just putting a sign in the yard, and putting it on the MLS are fading away, if they haven't already. I would like to know what percentage of buyers have a list of their own when meeting with their agent for a house hunt these days.  

If I were an agent I would scope out a house's competition, and present a plan to my prospective client that exceeds the competition using whatever tools needed. Of course price is always the easiest thing. However, even if the house seems cheap, but looks like crap on the net, I have a feeling some buyers will be turned off. There's just too much inventory out there to not try to stand above it in every way possible. That's what I really would expect an agent to do for my listing.

BTW, who said anything about radio?

I don't like virtual tours. They are sticky to watch and take too much time. I prefer a floorplan drawing and good stills any day of the week.

Profile picture for rockinblu
Sunneyview,

Honestly, I can't say that I like them all. At first I didn't like them at all, but I do like some of them now, and the point is if the house down the street has one, and I'm selling, I'd want one too. I like the one below, and as with all that I've seen, you can view stills from it as well.

http://vt.realtour.biz/?P=68102

Hello everyone.  It is great to see that this topic has gotten some attention.  No offense to any agent or professional in this business but I was looking from responses from sellers.  I do appreciate all feedback, please don't miss understand. 

When I take a listing, I feel it is my job to find out what the seller expects to be done, and when feasible, provide those outlets to market their home.

It only takes one buyer and if you miss 1 because you do not have a showcase listing and you do not have flyers and you do not have open houses, you could miss the 1 you need to get the deal done.

As far as profit is considered, there are several inexpensive marketing outlets we as agents can employ to further enhance our listings.  As a junior agent, I find it even more important for me to service the listing to the best of my abilities.  Maybe more senior agents don't have to provide extra marketing because they are more established.  In my opinion, it wouldn't hurt.

I have found that the options I do offer my sellers make them more comfortable waiting for the right buyer, versus being concerned we are missing someone.

To rockinblu, thank you so much for your input here and on trulia.com.  I live here in the area.  Grew up here.  And I can say I have had success with open houses and I have had success with internet marketing.  I have personally gotten 75% of my listings under contract within 90 days as a result of pricing, my knowledge of the financing world, and my marketing package.  In my research if 80% of buyers are on the internet, that's where I need to be 80% of the time, and that's how I focus my marketing.  Whether its a fixer upper or a mobile home, I try to treat all listings the same providing the best plan for that property.  It may not include flyers on each property or a Virtual tour on each (which I do), but if I get a call from seller, I have given them an honest up-to-date assesment or CMA and the home does not sell and I do get fired, I feel it won't be because I didn't market their home. 

Sometimes the reality is that no matter how often you put a home out there, it won't sell.  However, as a licensed REALTOR, if I am in a position to market a home more effectively, productively, and reach more buyers, I have to try.  It's my job.

Rockinblu, a lot of what you listed, I do have in my plan.  I do not market in the newspaper.  We have the Real Estate Weekly Magazine that gets far more looks than the paper.  I do not have 360 tours, but I do have a video tour of still shots with an audio tour. 

Thanks Rockinblu and all for your comments and suggestions.

Everyone have a great Memorial Day and remember to say a prayer for our men and women in uniform. 

Profile picture for rockinblu
Monica,

Rock on. Agents like you are certainly an absolute credit to your profession. You've got it goin' on, and I wish you all the best.

"Everyone have a great Memorial Day and remember to say a prayer for our men and women in uniform."

Monica, thanks for the reminder and the well wishes. Best wishes for your Memorial Day as well.