Profile picture for l511761

listing of size of house.

I like a house very much and I think on buying it. The house I believe is actually larger than what is listed by more around  1000 square feet, because a patio was enclosed and a bathroom was added during the original construction. Also a pool and a tennis court were built bu it does not show on the appraisal. However, the owner says he notified the inspector of the changes at the time of building the house,, but they were not  made at the appraisal's office. So it has 1 more room and one more bathroom and the other amenities.
When I buy the house, does anybody will know that the house is bigger and has more amenities? If that is the case I will have pay more taxes. Will there be any retroactive taxes to pay? Does the house need to be measured or appraised  when I buy it?
  • August 01 2009 - San Antonio

Un-documented additions and upgrades to a property could pose serious Legal, Tax, Construction, and Insurance Issues.

1.  See a Real Estate Attorney

2.  Have the Additions inspected by a Licensed Contractor.

3.  Have the Pool and Pool Systems inspected by a Swimming Pool Contractor.

4.  Ask the current Homeowners Insurance Company what they have on record for this house.   You do not want to have a future "claim denied" because of an illegal addition.

5.  See the Property Appraiser and/or Tax Collector and discuss these specific additions with them.

6.  Ask the Building or Permitting Department what they have on file for this property.

-------------------
Best wishes,
  Fred
---------------------