Profile picture for GwendolynThompson

looking for a list for life span on carpet,blinds,paint and counters--IN WA

January 27 2012 - US

Talk to your landlord first, they may even agree to do this stuff for you!

February 01 2012
Profile picture for Caveat Emptor
you never want to paint someone else's walls without asking them. its their property, let them take care of it. if they don't, move out.

Profile picture for GwendolynThompson
Thank you or the info. HEHE-- I was hoping to have a list so that I can figure out what is my respondsablity is and what they are respondsable or-- HEHE-- like for me to paint and to have they re paint over what I just did-- just trying to save myself the headache!!!! :)

In my state, there are no "musts" for a landlord to update things such as blinds, carpet and paint.   You can pull up the landlord/tenant laws for your state by googling to see if anything is mentioned.     If you have a good relationship with the landlord or property manager, bring it up casually to feel them out.  Many landlords wish to keep their properties in top condition but also don't want to inconvenience good tenants.

Helping a friend manage some rentals, we tend to repaint at five years (or at least offer for long term tenants) or when tenants turn over. (Many tenants do not want the inconvenience of the entire place being repainted while they live there.)     Carpet is 5 to 15 years.  Blinds can go decades, even basic ones from Home Depot.  Some friends recently replaced their counter tops when the counters were 60 years old - they were still in fine form but the owner's didn't like the color.

In my home, repainting is every 10 to 15 years unless we fancy a color change, carpet is 15 to 20 years, blinds - easily 15 and usually much longer. 

Profile picture for GwendolynThompson
The paint is basic and when I moved in it was only partly painted, the carpet is over 7 years and is a basic carpet- the blinds are basic too. Just hoping that I can get some info on if there is a list or wed site that has a list of things that is a MUST be done(by the property owners) at a time span so that I can figure out what is in the best form of action. 

Could you put this in perspective for us?  Are you asking ask a landlord managing properties?

The expected lifespan varies tremendously depending on the quality of the products used and their actual use.