my 2013 Tax Accessment in Atl.Ga.

Thought about a refi on a home that im renting out, paid the lender 350.00 for the appraisal back in Feb. The appraisal came in exactly 50k lower than Fulton County's tax accessor figure. I called and spoke to a county tax appraisal for my area and she stated she would work with me but not give me the appraised value that the lender said its worth. DO I Have ANY OPTIONS ??? I THINK THIS IS ROBBERY BY FULTON COUNTY!!!!!
  • June 15 2013 - Atlanta
  • 0

Assessment and appraisal are two totally different values/items.  Even if they adjust your value down, they very well may increase it again next year.  
Play nice with them, and dispute in writing with documentation.  Keep in mind, in most areas of Atlanta, values are coming back at a rapid rate. Assessments are good for a full year.  The tax office may be conservative, knowing that depending on the price of your home, the value may be going up and they would be stuck with a lower assessment for the next year.  

One last thing.  Keep in mind that the assessment is just the first basis of the taxes.  So even if it is $50K off, if their millege rate brings it to 40%, then your value is only off by $20,000. Which probably means $150-175 tax difference (If I did my math correct)

Good luck.  

The refi will only be based upon the dollar amount on the appraisal from the Lenders approved Appraiser, not from a tax assessment. Also, be aware that Lenders consider appraisals to have an expiration date. Sounds like your appraisal is already 90+ days old and you may need to have another one performed on the property. Check with your Lender soon!

Assessments don't really reflect the actual value, it is designed to match similar properties so they each pay the same amount of tax. I bet she told you that too. Hire three more appraisers and guess what, you will have 3 different numbers. That should tell you something.