my home has been on zillow a long time should I take off and then re list?

It shows it has been listed for over 500 days, I think this is a turn off for some, if it showed  as a new listing it might be more attractive.

August 12 2013 - US

There are most likely other issues with the listing. I strongly recommend you sit down with a respected Realtor in your area and discuss your personal situation and goals for selling your home. It could very well be the case that your home is worth more than you are asking and would receive much more exposure through professional representation in MLS. 

I suggest a better way to go is to change the wording, I would put the wording in bold letters - - the other option is, as you thought, taking it off for a while and re listing it but in order for the days on market to disappear it has to be off the market for 90 days!  If I can be of any further help do not hesitate to get in touch .  Chana Sky