Profile picture for dennis123456789

my home zestimate is $309K, average zestimate $618K, how do I get the price corrected?

12 custom built homes in a desirable area called Mar Vista Height. Range from $939k to $509K...my home zestimate is $309K..this appears to be personally directed against me and my property. Who has the ability to change the price of my home? Please respond!
  • November 27 2011 - Whittier
  • 0

What Wetdawgs said =)

Hi Dennis12345679:

When one edits data on a home, it takes several weeks to several months to see the full impact of the edits on the Zestimate.  (the last one I watched carefully was 8 weeks for the full impact).    So, it appears you did the edits to modify the square footage to be >1 square foot  three days ago, and at this time the change in Zestimate is most likely just the routine change and does not reflect your edits.   Therefore, when Rachel commented "check back in a month or two", she was being realistic relative to the impact of the edits on the Zestimate.

Profile picture for Dunes ..

According to Spencer Rascoff the CEO of Zillow in this Forum the other day:

"If I referred your email to Russ, it was (and is) because it's his job to discuss these issues with our users" (LINK)

Sounds like Russ is the guy according to the CEO

Here is a Link to Russ Hatfield (His Profile) where you can just hit the "Contact" and explain your concern..
Russ Hatfield Zillow Customer and Community Support

Good Luck

Profile picture for dennis123456789
okay, this is classic..I corrected the facts as suggested by a actual Zillow Employee, and Zillow lowered the the price $4000.00...I think (and because for about 20 years I was a programmer) that this is NOT the AVM..this is a person... my house $134.00 a square foot..neighborhood average roughly $275...something is wrong and it has to do with the the brokers I pissed off..  

Hi Dennis,

I see the home facts were edited in June. You have the square footage listed as 1 sq ft. We use home facts to calculate the zestimate. If you'd like it to be more accurate, I suggest correcting the home facts to accurately reflect the square feet.  Check back in a month or two and see if it's gone up.

My experience with Zillow values in Mar Vista Height is that they are generally correct, sorry for whatever reason yours isn't. You can email me for comps if you would like since your are in So Cal....

Profile picture for dennis123456789
...early on I changed the square footage to equal the average square footage of all 12 homes..this resulted in Mr. Zillow Roboto lowering the price per square foot..then I changed it to 1 square foot...which resulted in my house, AT THAT TIME..being worth $492,000 per square foot...this has been a constant pattern of intentionally lowering the price of my home..the who, what or why seems to be my biggest fear..and living on a culdesac,  I see the cars drive up..look at the home for sale and then come down and pause in front of my home..these are the people using Zillow on their smart phone..that house has been on the market for 188 days..and I have lost more then $1,000 per day, ridiculous and I would say entitles me to compensation, for fraud and slander and punitive damages for the pain and suffering..anyone else agree?

Whats the address ? I dont see any Zestimates at $309K in Mar Vista Heights except vacant land.....maybe your data is not updated....check Zillow FAQs on how to update your homes data....

Profile picture for blue screen exile
"last home sold for $487,000, zestimate $681,000, bank repo, total fixer" -

The last sold price and date have a major impact on the estimate.  Fixers almost always are estimated high and recently renovated since purchase are almost always estimated low as there is absolutely no way for the machines to obtain this data.  It is not in the public records.

I cannot see your house, but agents do not control the Zestimate on Zillow. It is an algorithm that is numbers based only. Zillow cannot see your house and they would not allow a ticked off broker to maliciously drop your price.

From what I have seen, extreme price drops in a short time are often based on a super low assessment that is either an error or as a result of an appeal, a recent sale nearby that is very similar by the numbers alone (bed/bath, sq footage etc) with MAJOR condition problems (no kitchen, no roof etc) or as a result of a site bug.

If you think that it may be a bug, I would post it in the bugs section of Advice and flag it using the yellow edit pencil on your home page so Zillow can take a look. They will not change your Zestimate by request, but if the information for your house is truly compromised, they will look into it and try to fix it.

Profile picture for dennis123456789
you're wrong...every home in my little neighborhood has varied a few thousand while mine has dropped $200,000 in less then 6 months. I have been in this house for 13 years, no activity to my knowledge has been done, appraisals etc., last home sold for $487,000, zestimate $681,000, bank repo, total fixer, 3 month before that a home sold for  $520,000, zestimate $620,000, comparable to my home and another is on the market for $565,000. I complained to Zillow since June and they have responded by continually dropping the price of my home, $42,000 this week..it is personal, but I can't figure out who is changing it...it is not the program.  I live in an area called Mar Vista Heights, in the Whittier Hills, with city light views, Catalina on most days..zestimate $309,000...you have to scroll for miles to fine anything lower...it's personal...I had a run in with all the brokers at the open house of the one currently for sale and the price of my home immediately started dropping, while all other began to raise. I chase some people out of the backyard of the house on tuesday, my house dropped $42,000 the next day..very suspicious..

Profile picture for blue screen exile
Zillow doesn't provide any "pricing"; only machine generated opinions of approximate value, which are highly dependent on the last price paid adjusted for the last sold date, so the best way to change the opinion is to pay more for the property, or to sell it for a different amount.

As for pricing... any owner can claim their home and set any "price" they like with a "make me move".  I strongly suggest setting a "price" for $600k homes at $35 Million.  It makes it much easier to tell all those obnoxious Realtors to take a hike.

Nobody can personally change any estimates as they are all automated based on the public data; but you can edit the data which eventually affects the numbers.

Personally directed against you?  Impossible!  The machines have no clue who anyone is, nor any reason to intentionally create bias.