Profile picture for DollHouseCape

no place nor value for gardens and landscapimg?

• August 30 2009 - Las Cruces
  • 0

Profile picture for nwhome.us
Nancy, your comment is very well stated.
DollHouse, believe me when I say that I am a lover of the outdoors and thoroughly appreciate our own artistic influences on it.
But I was quick,the other week, to have a homeowner remove a dying Japanese Maple (25 yrs old) so that his home was visible from the street.  I would do the same thing on the interior if someone had spent thousands of dollars on painting a mural on a bedroom wall that just wasn't going to be helpful in selling the home.
As Nancy points out there are gardeners but it is a narrower market.
Another thought is to save plantrs into a nursery for moving to your next home or give them tho gardening friends.

Are you saying the house is for sale, and you have feedback or a strong suspicion that the gardens/landscaping is turning people away?  That is certainly possible.  An attractive presentation (curb appeal) is key to a great first impression.  And a great first impression is frequently the basis for a successful sale.  But, as NW and Brian said, really elaborate gardens can overwhelm people.  As in, "I love the way it looks, but I can't maintain it." 

One idea that comes to mind is - how are you being advertised?  On the internet and printed flyers/brochures, I would make sure the headline was something like "Gardener's paradise".  And words like like 'established gardens' appear and are available for searches.  In other words, make sure the advertising catches the eye of, and appeals to, other gardeners.

BUT make sure the advertising also highlights the interior of the house!  It is important to have a good mix of exterior and interior pics and written descriptions.  If the ad is focuses too heavily on the exterior, many buyers may assume the interior of the house is not well maintained.

As Brian said, gardens are deeply personal.  It is going to take longer for that sub-set of buyers who want gardens to find your property.  So, as with any personalized space, selling requires patience.

Which brings us to the other idea.  (And, as a fellow gardener, this one is painful to me.)  Prune and dig up or otherwise remove some of the garden plants, then put down sod.  In other words, simplify the gardens and increase the lawn area. 

I suggest you look over your advertising.  If the gardens are not mentioned, discuss changing the focus of the ads (while still including the interior of the house) with your agent. 

I also suggest you interview a few local stagers.  Find someone who understands landscaping presentation.  Explain your dilemma.  Then, bring her/him to your house to discuss how best to stage the exterior.   

I hope this helps.

Profile picture for DollHouseCape
ACTUALLY, THERE ARE 3 LARGE WELL MAINTAINED GARDENS.  VARIETY OF PLANTS, DECORATIVE FENCING, ONE VERY PRIVATE SHADED PATIO/BARBEQUE AREA.  MANY VARIED SONGBIRD SPECIES WITH PROVIDED HOUSING, ALBEIT,  NO  RENTAL INNCOME.  2 WATER  SYSTEMS.  ORIGINAL WELL, NOW USED TEND THE GARDENS.  PLENTY OF SPACE FOR MORE LARGE GARDENS, BUT, THE TIME!

Lawns, gardens landscapes are alot like paint in that overpersonalization and differentiation from the norm can turn off more people than it can turn on.

I view my home as an asset that needs to be kept as liquid as possible.  One way I work towards that goal is by maintaining a relatively simple landscape.  Grass and shrubs take time to grow; makes sense to have them ready for action when you finally decide to relocate.  Average time in a home is what 5-7 years?  And what if you have to relocate when you didn't plan to do so?  Liquidity is your friend.

Profile picture for nwhome.us
If you want to include it in "My Estimate" there are fields for items not listed.  If you need help doing that go to Zillow FAQs and search for "My estimate."
Appraisers will include some value in mature landscapes but the order of magnitude isn't great.  It falls into the condition: good, fair, average, poor.
My wife is a gardener and I know how much time she spends keeping the garden in shape. I've installed some very large architected landscapes.  Many buyers don't want to spend that time in maintenance.  Many gardeners may not appreciate your own aesthetic.  Though I am adamat about street appeal, pots at the entry and certain colors in my lisitngs, a neat lawn will suffice for the "landscape."