Profile picture for kht743

painting over formica

I have 1970's, formica, kitchen and bath cabinets.
Do I REALLY have to clean, sand, tack cloth, prime and paint them? I've heard there's a primer that all you do is prime then paint. I am afraid to do ANYthing for fear the paint will eventually chip and make them look worse than they do now! Replacing any of them is out of the question from a monetary standpoint.

August 05 2007 - US

Profile picture for robin398
Have you tried a primer called Kilz? It's supposed
to cover ANY material so that it can be painted,
supposed to cover grease and crayon marks even.
Let me know if it works, because I want to try it
too. Good luck!

Profile picture for kht743
This is from Kilz.com:::::

To prime glossy surfaces:

KILZ Original or KILZ Odorless primers

For maximum adhesion, scuff sand, clean, rinse and dry glossy surfaces prior to applying KILZ primers. Liquid deglossers/cleaners should not be used in the preparation of glossy surfaces. .............

THERE'S the scuff sand thing! I don't want to sand because of the mess that will create in the kitchen and or bedroom (vanity area opens to bedroom with no doorway). But thanks!! :) MAYBE some day.............................

To get the adhesion you need for the primer to grab hold to the surface you are painting, you do need to clean and sand. If you don't your paint will only be as strong as the grease and dirt below. On smooth glossy surfaces you paint will most likely run and drip unless you do the prep work. If you don't prep chances are good the paint will chip and peel.

I know it's a tidious thing to do and messy, but if you want a long lasting product it needs to be done.

As for Killz....if you use it make sure you use the latex based one if you are painting with latex paint, and oil based if you are painting with oil based paint. If you accidentally use oil based killz and try to paint with latex paint, you are going to be very miserable.

I actually did this in my Dad's apartment for the same reason and I concur - if you don't sand and then wipe the dust away before painting don't bother doing it at all because you will not like the way it turns out. Also, take the hinges and hardware off before you do the painting. When you put them back on they will look fresher, especially if you spray paint with a good quality metal paint or replace them completely.

Can you tile over the formica? Not sure if that would work, but it might look better if you could!

fjdnfjdnfdngkfngvncmvncmnvmnmmcvcmncm,vn,mvnx

Yes, you can tile over formica, after scuffing it up. I have beautiful tiling on my bathroom counter (see pics).

I have had perfect success with NOT sanding my laminate kitchen cabinets, and using a "gripper" primer (comes in a quart or gallon). But be sure to CLEAN the formica thoroughly first so there is no grease or grime at all. You can paint with a sponge brush used as if there were a wood grain (up and down on the door face, etc,) and it will make a nice, smooth application. When dry (which is very fast), use 2 coats of paint that has a little sheen, not flat, but not necessarily as shiny as semigloss. Paler colors take less coats than darker.

I should add that in 11 years, I have never had the cabinet paint chip or crack. It was a realtor that gave me the primer tip years ago.

Profile picture for supercub
You can wipe the surfaces down with TCP, then wet sand to prevent dust. Prime with Gripper and paint. The TCP is a grease cutter that looks and smells pretty much like water. Gripper is an interface coat between the formica and the paint.

Good luck.

Profile picture for kramerlois
XIM Bonding Primer. Used it to prime countertops in kitchen in vacation home. Doesn't smell as much as you will be warned, but if your very sensitive, be sure to have adequate ventilation for the time you're applying it. It dries very quickly and then the smell disappears. Just don't get it on anything you don't plan to paint as it does not come off. Amazing stuff.

There is also :

BULLS EYE 1-2-3 Primer Sealer Will stick to glossy surfaces

Awesome water based product!!

I forgot: Bulls Eye is made by Zinnser.

I just painted over some nasty "wood grain" laminated cabinets. I used Bulls Eye 123 in the SPRAY can.

It worked BETTER than trying to paint it on b/c painting can leave streaks. We tested Kilz against the Bulls Eye and Bulls Eye gave a more even finish and dried quickly.

We brush painted on the color coat (oil base over oil base) and didn't see any noticable bristle strokes.

Just make sure you take OFF the doors to spray paint since you need to do them inside and out which is next to impossible if you leave them up. You'll get runs around the hinges if you do.

Profile picture for cbbetter_aol.com
I did the TCP, lightly sand, wipe with a tack cloth and then KILZ.

I painted white over the kilz on a old brown dishwasher and range hood. I also painted white on some realy bad formica counter tops, then I took a small paint brush tapped it on my other hands to make drops of color on the pure white. I used this drops of paint method in three differant shades of one color and when dry I put about three coats of varathane over it all. It sold the rental house that month, that had been on the market for a year.

Look in your local yellow pages for a company that re-glazes bath tubs, they most likely will do counters and cabinets as well. They use professional equipment and the glaze(a high grade enamel paint) with have a beautiful end look.

Cost should be no more then 5-8 bucks a sqft

Sounds nice

Profile picture for Obama2008

You might try using a thick simulated granite epoxy resin to cover your countertop for a low cost solution that looks nice.  Check out  http://www.ipaint.us/sigrfl.html

Profile picture for diyDiva40

The Home Depot has informed me that a primer called 'GRIPPER' is the best primer for formica. No sanding necessary, but be sure to clean the formica cabinets with a good degreaser before applying the GRIPPER. After it dries, then add your paint. By the way, the best paint for formica, is called 'cabinet rescue'. It can also be tinted before applying. Expect a good job! Thanks

Supercub is close.  It's TSP, or tri sodium phosphate.  Only they don't sell it much any more.  You can still by tsp substitute.  It's a cleaner, degreaser, deglosser.  A must have for flipping rentals.  When painting cabinets I go sand, tsp, primer, paint.

XIM Primer is the best for plastic, and will help paint bond. You might want to sand it before painting.

Are "Electronic Gopher Repellers" Effective?
Profile picture for Paul - Team Teasdale Realty
Latest reply by Paul - Team Teasdale Realty
Where is the best place to buy major appliances?
Profile picture for NiceGuy4
Latest reply by NiceGuy4
April 03 | 37 answers
Replacement Windows
Profile picture for timmcnerney0
Latest reply by timmcnerney0
March 29 | 71 answers
Home Elevator
Profile picture for Elizabeth vaughan
Latest reply by Elizabeth vaughan
March 27 | 13 answers
Pre-fab tub/shower surround or tiled walls?
Profile picture for Dino Micheli
Latest reply by Dino Micheli
February 20 | 15 answers