Profile picture for qqqqqqqqqqq

preparing for a home inspection

there are some smart ways to make a good impression on the home inspector. first of all, clean out dirty gutters, and repair any broken gutters or downspouts. Second, trim trees and shrubs that touch or overhang the house. finally, have any documents you need handy about the appliances, roof, heat pump, and furnace.
  • January 18 2010 - US
  • 0

Sellers should treat the home inspector like a professional. Be helpful and polite and be sure to mention any systems like heat/air, water heater or sprinklers that have been recently replaced. Sellers can reduce the number of things that turn up on the official inspection by doing a "pre inspection" of their own. There is a checklist here that sellers can use to help them address possible areas of minor repair before the inspector arrives. Many things like trimming trees, replacing missing switch covers or caulking around tubs or toilets costs very little, but can make the inspection turn out better in the end.

trouble hear folks is most times (always at my listings) the seller is not present... and too many times they treat the place like their baby...let the inspector do his job... and stay out of the way... secondly, maintain your property from purchases and you won't worry when that dreaded home inspection time has come... and realize they WILL find SOMETHING.. always!

As an inspector, can I say do not try to hide things. It just sends up a red flag. Echoing Ms. Wildasinn's comment, I have never had a home that is perfect, even a newly built house. Older homes were not built to current standards, so I have to include items that we now know to be safety issues (such as the presence of AFCI breakers has to be reported in Texas, yet builders generally did not start placing these on homes till 2006). A good inspector will explain that fact to his clients, and the clients have to consider if that is important or not. As for new homes, builders do not always include items that inspectors put down on reports. One builder does not offer splashguards for downspouts. That is simply his company's policy. I tell my clients this is part of their contract, and I am giving you advice on how to maintain the home. If you are curious, you can read about the home inspection process and typical findings.

Don't be afraid that an inspector is going to be picky in their assessments either.  I find having a pre-inspection on my listings and making the repairs goes a long way in helping get to closing after the home has gone under contract.

As an Inspector I am just looking for free access to all major equipment. The Owner and Agent should ensure that all the equipment is on before the inspection starts. This will help speed up the inspection.

Tracy, I wish all Sellers would have pre-inspections. This would be good for all parties involved.

We took the concept of a pre-inspection one step further and now offer "Move-In Certified" inspections.  The concept is beginning to get a little traction on the West Coast but only after I get all the agents together and show a Powerpoint about the benefits of doing this type of home inspection.

Read about them here:
Seller Home Inspecton