Profile picture for costo

proprerty taxs: if your basement is finished will this increase my tax bill.

my legal discription is incorrect. It states a full basement and 2.5.
I actually have and unfinished basement and only 1.5 bath.
Do I need to address this or will this not affect my tax bill.
  • November 22 2010 - Park Ridge
  • 0

If they think your house has an extra $15,000 in it that it does not your taxes will be based on that $15,000 extra value. That will increase your taxes some.

I would (as the others said) talk to your assessor and explain your house does not have those things. They will want to look at it in person (almost 100% sure) and then should rework this. But if you have other tings they do not know about that just might increase your tax bill as something different is added.

Ask your favorite Realtor to help you with the comparisons.  They may or may not be willing to help.

I have completed this type of analysis and generally charge a small fee of $50.  It does take some time to do and is very similar to a Broker Price Opinion.

This inconsistency is the type of thing that will lower your taxes. You should bring in comps an make your case.

Profile picture for Lmiller1955
I agree with Bob , , talk with your assessor, It's always the best policy to do the right thing.

Yes, you should definitely tell the assessor. It should save you money.