Profile picture for czy11421

"public facts" is the "public record" ?

In the Zillow.com,  the "public facts" is the "public record" ? what is the source ?

My agent told me a house has two bedroom, but according to "public facts", it is a bedroom. which way can I verify this information ?

Thanks.
Edward

July 11 2010 - US

Visit the property to judge for yourself.  If the assessors card says 1 bedroom and it shows 2 bedrooms, make sure that a permit was obtained to build the second bedroom.

dear Czy11421.  Best way to verify information about real estate is to visit the property.  Most of the public websites obtain their posted information from either the public or county tax records, other websites, or the local MLS database.   The problem occurs when the information is feed into a database that is not set up apples for apples to the source.   I frequently find errors on sites other than my local MLS.   It's not intentional, it's just automated and the data can be inadvertently skewed or jumbled, for lack of a better description.
If you are interested in buying a piece of property hire an agent and go see the property.
Real estate sites should be used for more general information, to learn what is available and get you started - it's not the be all to end all for real estate - it's a beginning.
Good luck.

Profile picture for dianetuman
socal_engr is right. We use publicly available data from the assessor's office. It might not be up-to-date, so we allow you to update your home facts yourself. Here's more information on editing your home facts.

Zillow has information that is mostly automated, but it also has information that is supplemented.  I recently claimed a house (which was a vacant tract when I purchased it). I bought it up to date and will soon advertise as a rental or owner finance. If the automated information was not changed by me the information what have only been partially correct. As it states now it is mostly correct.

Zillow is guideline information it is not Gospel.

James Callas - Realtor®

"Public record" is what is recorded at the local assessor's office. It is not necessarily up-to-date or correct, but this is what Zillow uses.

As an example, my house was designed by the builder as a 3 bedroom, 2.5 bath, but with options to include 2 more bedrooms and 2 more bathrooms. As a result, it shows as 3/2.5 on the assessor's site, but the "as built" as 3/3.5. Other houses, same floorplan as mine, are "as built" at 5/4.5.

So, the bottom line is the "public record" is what the assessor has. The "actual" is what you see...as long as it was all done with permits.