qualifying for mortgage help??

Here is our situation in a nutshell.
My husband and I would like to purchase a home within one year from now, but want to know if the right house presented itself, if we could potentially purchase one this summer.
We were discharged one year ago with a chapter 7. Back in 2009 my ex and I ended an ugly custody battle, where I won, and he decided to run from his obligation to pay child support. At the time, it was a HUGE hit in income for my husband and I. Our income was around 40,000 a year, and the ex was mandated to pay 700 a month. We accumulated tons of debt trying to stay afloat, but none the less, we ended up filling after years of trying to pay it off.
Since then, my husband's income has been steadily increasing. Our taxes for this year at filing will be 70,000 and last years taxes were 63,000. He has been at his job for 3 years now. Our credit scores are really unknown, but are roughly in the mid 600's. According to quizzle and credit karma they are 667 and 635 for each of us. We have had PERFECT credit since the discharge on student loans and a small 2,000 credit card my hubby got approved for. We put a little on and pay it off.
Is there any chance we would qualify for a loan sooner than the 2 year waiting period here in Kentucky? I know they introduced some program that may help with a decline in income. The problem is , our income has risen each year. But it was a huge hit at the time so I'm not sure if that will work or not. Our credit at the time of income decline was 730.
  • January 03 2014 - Lexington
  • 0

Normally you would need the full two years from discharge, but FHA has a new guideline that allows for exceptions in certain circumstances. Usually, the circumstances would be medical related, but you should visit with a loan professional in your area to find out for sure.

As a rule of thumb the discharge date must be two years plus before qualifying for a home loan.  Now, this is the most commonly overlooked piece of important information: The existing credit at the 2 year mark should be free of any negitive information and show satisfactory reistabilished credit post bankruptcy.  Usually negative info from the bankruptcy lingers until it is addressed and corrected on the repositories.  This can take some time to get corrected.  My advice is to speak and sit down with a credentialed Loan Originator to prepare for the future purchase whether it be this year or next.