refinance with credit union norms

Is it normal out there right now for someone with good credit and not underwater and an LTV well under 80% and good debt to income ratio to have to give 3 years of complete tax returns (yes, all the pages) plus tax returns for a business in which was previous employment and which I was only 10% owner and now do not work for any longer but at another company as an employee.  I'm wondering if I'm wasting my time--I've already paid for the appraisal and it's done.  Underwriting with this credit union seems pretty ridiculous with what they want, but maybe that's how things are now? A lot of things are being put on hold now waiting for this refi to close.  It has already been a month and has been lingering in underwriting for almost two weeks.  I thought I trusted this credit union, but this is not what I expected and will not be working with them again, that is for sure.

May 08 2012 - US

It sounds a bit excessive but not completely outrageous.   2 years returns is normal request.    Previous employment business returns for an income not used to qualify seems the most unusual, but it is tough to judge without knowing the full details of the application and employment history.

Well, the loan originator/officer is perplexed by the latter as well.  Neither of us can understand why it would be relevant.  She is not counting it as current income and the numbers still come in fine.  If I was still employed at the previous company as sole income I could understand this.  As it stands, we'll have to get an NDA signed with all involved in order to pull these returns.  A real hassle and delay, and frankly, I think an invasion of the majority owner's privacy.  In the Puget Sound area of WA state.

Justin is spot on.  The details always matter and these days many lenders are (for good reason) paranoid about documenting files.  Hopefully you can get someone to explain exactly why those returns are needed. If it makes sense, then at least you will understand the reasoning. 

Need to refi from conventional uninsured interest only loan.
Profile picture for Brian Paris
Latest reply by Brian Paris
September 18 | 6 answers
Zillow's information is not based on any credible information, Zillow is a fraud!
Profile picture for jim lengel
Latest reply by jim lengel
September 15 | 9 answers
  • Posted by user2117750
  • In Refinance
Any luck with Hudson City Savings Bank Loan Mod?
Profile picture for diamond218
Latest reply by diamond218
August 26 | 44 answers
royal united mortgage, indianapolis, IN
Profile picture for jeffbrown1215
Latest reply by jeffbrown1215
August 06 | 10 answers
  • Posted by susiemargaret
  • In Refinance
Roundpoint mortgage - DO NOT USE THIS Mortgage company
Profile picture for BobbyHill3
Latest reply by BobbyHill3
August 05 | 4 answers
  • Posted by user2236114
  • In Refinance