Profile picture for dirtysouth34

remodeling a bathroom

i am about to start the process of remodeling my bathroom.  i want tile flooring along with just a basic white bathroom with some splashes of blue thoughout.  very simple master bathroom.  what are the thoughts on the bathroom?  i know it is the biggest selling point in the home, but i don't want to get outrageous on price.  how hard is it to lay the tile and if i contracted it out, what is a round about price to have the tile laid.  the bathroom is roughly 300 sq.feet.

January 16 2008 - US

Profile picture for LLI Services

Are you in Florida?

It all depends on where you are, I pay $2-3 per sq ft for installation and I keep an eye out for sales on tile or closeouts to keep material costs rather low.

If you are careful about leveling the floor, laying tile is relatively easy.  We've done it ourselves with saltillos, ceramic tile, and marble, and it all came out great!  Home Depot often gives "tile class" to get you going.

Profile picture for pollengirl

If you DIY with tile, you can do the whole thing for a couple of hundred dollars - just make sure you don't skimp on the underneath layers (underlayment? whatever it's called) - tile will crack and look awful if it is AT ALL uneven.  My ex- tried this and it cost more to get it all taken back up and installed professionally - not enough of a perfectionist for this type of task.

Profile picture for dinydeek1

For a cheap and,  wonderful improvement I like to use good mouldings and frame the mirror over the vanity- We actually installed the new vanity lights through the top mouldings- cost about 250.00 for good vanity lights, mouldings and glue- huge difference.

We also found a prefab granite counter for 175.00 double sink- then we added a small tile backwash- maybe you can go neutral with tile on the floor, and add the color with accessories or a few blue tiles in the backwash?  I change my colors all the time and have found a neutral base makes it easier to update or change gears...

I agree with others who have posted-DIY the tile work if you can... labor costs can run pretty high and tile is much easier then it looks.  As long as you learn the basic rules and give yourself time  it can be a great DIY.  I still struggle with round cuts and double angles- I buy lots of extras.. and I have found natural stones are much easier to cut then ceramic ...

I love looking at the pottery barn ads, pier one, and my beloved better homes and gardens for inspiration..

hope you find just the right change

Profile picture for dinydeek1

Here is a pic of the framing I just did in my Master.  We ended up reusing the sinks, the undermount cuts on the granite are a high price compared to just cutting a hole for a drop in- next is the tile floor and tiling the shower-

Has anyone plumbed in body jets into the shower?  My husbands a great plumber, but this will be new-any tricks? preferred brands? 

We just tore out tile flooring in two bathrooms

In one of the bathrooms, it was hideously ugly (dark brown grout with beige/brown tile - I should've taken a picture). In the other it was white on white (aesthetically fine) but showed every speck of dirt that my 3 sons trekked in. There is gorgeous tile out there though. If you like low maintenance, just keep dirt in mind.

The main reason I steer clear of tile on floors is that it's cold on bare feet. Admittedly, I live in Seattle, so it's chilly most of the year. If I lived in Florida or Texas, I'd feel differently. But I hate waking up at night and getting out of my toasty bed and stepping onto cold tile.

We put in Marmoleum in both baths and just love it. The marbled patterns hide dirt or hair (don't worry, we clean the floors, but not daily) and seems to be about the same temperature as the room. No more tiptoeing to the toilet.

Profile picture for dunmoved

We put radiant floor heating under the tile floor when we remodelled our bathroom.  It's the BEST - step out of the shower onto a nice, warm (but not hot) floor with no worries about a moldy bathmat!  With the small bathroom area (5x5) we used one of those electric mats, it's 110v and not expensive to run either.

February 01 2008
Profile picture for Virg1

Whas the rdiant floor heating hard to do?  We are remodeling our bathroom and are just about to lay the tile (have it done by a friend).  Is it too late?  I am always cold and hav always had tile, but never thought of having a heated floor!  What a great idea?

February 02 2008
Profile picture for firemanswife13L

You can also buy the tile flooring that clicks together (interlocking floating floors) Then the grout come in a caulking type tube.  Really easy to install. 

February 03 2008
Profile picture for dunmoved

The radiant flor was amazingly easy, especially for a small space.  We also put it in the dining / family room, which is 24 x10 so it took some planning to stagger the mats (they come in standard sizes and you hook them together).

Word of caution - if your floor is in the basement and it floods, radiant floor heating may not be for you!  Fortunately we solved the flooding problem when we dug up the back yard and re-did the sewer pipes.  Blech.

Suntouch radiant floors <---not affliated, yadda yadda, this is the product we used

February 04 2008
Profile picture for Soldierette

I used to work for a tile company some years ago which is how I learned of the heated flooring.  It's a fabulous idea and I'd love to have it myself because I hate for my feet to get cold.

My suggestion would be to keep in mind where you actually walk at on that floor. You don't need to add the "heating pad" up against the tub (maybe 4 inches away) or the sink or the toilet, just where you actually walk at.  This method saves money and energy because you aren't heating unused portions of your floor.

People use this also in kitchens.

February 09 2008
Profile picture for BruceRTalbot

Go to a local home show and look for a floating click together ceramic floor.  It is very easy to lay, doesn't need expensive underlayment adn will not crack!  Cost is about $5 per sq. foot, which is about the same cost after you total the underlayment, thin set and tile for a conventional ceramic floor. All you do is snap the pieces together adn use their special flexable grout. 

February 11 2008

Cesspool vs Septic
Profile picture for ochsnola
Latest reply by ochsnola
August 01 | 9 answers
How do you replace electrical wiring in a home? Costs?
Latest reply by user7705784
June 12 | 21 answers
Does putting a fence on your property, increase the value?
Profile picture for Shannon Biszantz
Latest reply by Shannon Biszantz
June 05 | 13 answers
Clogged Drain solutions....DIY-using softdrinks???
Profile picture for warchildbosnia
Latest reply by warchildbosnia
May 30 | 25 answers
Cost of Building A Garage
Profile picture for Robert Adams
Latest reply by Robert Adams
May 15 | 5 answers