Profile picture for mia0431

renter purchased home have to break lease

I rented an apartment and ended up buying a home 2 months shy form the end of my lease. Now my old landlord is asking me to pay atleast one month of my rent as well as keeping my deposit. is that right?
  • March 23 2011 - US
  • 0

Profile picture for CallTheSisters
Unless there was a clause in the lease specifically giving you an early out if you bought a home - then the answer is you legally owe the rent.

Yes. This is absolutely right.  When you signed the lease, you were signing a contract to pay rent for a certain period of time.  This is legally binding.  However, you should review the portion of your lease pertaining to early move out.  It may have provisions, or your landlord may agree to let you waive the last few months if you find someone to move in & pay the rent in your absence. If you have been a good tenant, you may only need to ask.

Since you own him two more months rent whether you live there or not, I can't say that it's unfair. Personally, as a landlord, I would expect 30 days notice and that the house be left in good condition. If someone has been a good renter and give me proper notice, I let them out of the lease.

The number 1 misinformation that renters have when they buy a home is the act of buying a home somehow voids their contractual obligation to their landlord. Some folks even think there is some 'state law' that lets them out of their lease early.

Just not true.

You need to review the lease, however, as the other person here answered you are getting off pretty easy. When you break a lease they could ask for the whole remainder of the lease and keep your deposit. They could also put that on your credit if you chose not to pay. A lease is a contract just like the one you signed to purchase your home.

Yes, it is right.  In fact, you are getting off easy.   You signed a legal document agreeing to pay rent for the full term of the lease.    You are breaking the legal agreement, so they could ask for the full two months rent.