Profile picture for zzzjie

roof permission

This is a 27-year old house. The seller told us that roof was redone about 7
-10 years ago. Inspector found that there are two layers on the roof, which
suggested that they added additional layer on top of original layer.

I called town office today. She told me that there is no record of roof
permission in file. But she also said many people redo the roof without
applying for permission.

What will this affect my house value? I will have to redo roof about in 10
years. I wonder if I should ask the seller who did the roof for them and
when, some receipts so that I can show my future buyers some proof. Or
should I bother to ask?
  • August 22 2013 - US

Profile picture for zzzjie
It is in decent condition. My inspector told me to check with the town office, but I forgot to do it. I am closing next week and I called town office today.

I like the house and the roof looks great. What should I do?

When it comes time to remove the shingles for a new roof in the future you will need more manpower to remove the shingles as well as pay more for the disposal of the shingles.

If your inspector believes that the integrity of the roof is good and that it will be at least 10 years before you need another roof, then you may not want to question the seller. A lot of this depends on how long you plan on living in the house.
If you are in a competitive real estate market and really want the house, then maybe it's not worth inquiring, or maybe there other inspection issues that are more important to you.

If its still in decent conditions and your inspector has no issues and you live there 10 years or longer, expect to replace it with a complete tear off.

As for the moment, if you really like the home and it doesn't detract too much from the look. Grin and bear it. It sounds like a couple buddies came over and roofed it.

Some municipalities don't even require having a permit for roof work, so as long as the work was done properly it shouldn't be an issue. Chances are by the time you get around to selling, the home would need a new roof.

You should ask the sellers for any documentation on the roof (who installed it, what materials were used) as there is often a pro-rated warranty on roof materials.

When you need to redo the roof, keep in mind that you will need to do a complete tear off as most housing codes now only allow for two layers of roofing materials. And depending on the age of the home and the condition of the roof under the 1st layer of shingles it may be necessary to install underlayment, which can often be expensive.

I assume you've had the home inspected. Your inspector can give you an idea as to the life left in the roof as well as whether the roof was properly installed. If you're lucky, you will be able to see the roof from the inside. This can give you an idea of how it was installed and whether you will have future issues with the roof.