Profile picture for KmahaneyII

ryan homes?

i am wanting to build a house, what are your thoughts on ryan homes?

• August 28 2008 - US
  • 0

Profile picture for gialane

william ryan or just ryan homes?

Ryan Homes isn't the greatest builder.  You'd get better quality with an NVHomes house.  I have a Ryan home and they just didn't seem to do too much correctly.  So many things had to be redone and fixed even after settlement.  Or - maybe they've improved since I bought my house 12 years ago.  Let's hope so.  Good luck on your new home purchase.

Profile picture for kelargo

Huh?  I think I smell Astro Turf...

http://finance.google.com/finance?q=nvr

whois nvhomes.com

NVR
       7601 Lewinsville Road, #210
       McLean, VA 22102
       US

whois ryanshomes.com

NVR
       7601 Lewinsville Road, #210
       McLean, VA 22102
       US

Profile picture for Lady Chattel

I owned a Ryan home once. It wasn't the greatest quality but it certainly wasn't as bad as Richmond American or some others out there.   I agree NV is better.  

Profile picture for kelargo

"  I agree NV is better."

Its the same company!

Profile picture for Brian G. Allen

Where do want to build your home? and have you determined a budget?

Profile picture for bimmerpwr

Sorry, they are not the same company, although they are under NVR (parent company).  Ryan home caters to lower end of houses and NV home caters to upper end of houses. 

Is Cadillac the same as Chevy? You get what you pay for...usually.

Profile picture for Lady Chattel

Doink, I didn't realize that.  I have a friend with a NV home and they were not even comparable.   I guess it is like having a Mercedes or a Ford 500, they look similar but not quite the same.  

Profile picture for kelargo

"Is Cadillac the same as Chevy?"

except for plastic cosmetics, yeah!

Specifically, what is different in the homes?

Profile picture for KmahaneyII

yea the neiborhood is in independence, kentucky my price range is 140's to 180's

Ryan Homes is part of NVHomes but Ryan Homes cost less and are not finished as nicely - NVHomes has everything of nicer quality - cabinets, fixtures, better quality contractors doing the work - but the NV's cost quite a bit more.

Profile picture for kelargo

realty trac shows 656 properties in that zip code 41051.
most appear to be at the pre-foreclosure state. 

I didn't see any in that specific Ryan Home's Hickory Valley subdivision.

Profile picture for nckeith
so sorry to dissappoint, but as a trim contractor who worked for NV and ryan, generally the subs are the same. So, you can put a pig in lipstick, well you get the point.

Profile picture for camty2525

We just sold our Ryan home in May that we built 12 years ago--it wasn't the worse house ever built--that would be the cheap piece of crap we are renting while we build with a custom builder--and at that price point, I would probably build with them again.  Two suggestions to you--be on the job site everyday--whether any of the contractors etc... are there or not.  That way, if you are there when they are working things just seem to go more smoothly and if you go after work hours, you can catch something immediately that doesn't look or feel right!  My second suggestion is to upgrade your windows and your furnace.  We had and 80% efficiency furnace and the window were very very difficult to open and close.  Definitely spend some money to upgrade both if possible.  Honestly, in 12 years that was our only complaints with the house.  It was the Zachary model--2450 sq. ft. with a finished basement making it 3000 sq. ft.

Profile picture for Ronald Reed Jackson
A general overview, Ryan Homes builds using a high volume formula. Makes things cheaper price wise, and that often shows up sooner or later in the home. Consider Ryan Homes makes their profits by buying bulk low cost materials and using the cheapest, often anonymous labor.

Also a lot of things are prefabbed and assembled on site. On the construction side, everything is about volume and cutting their building costs. The model homes invariably mislead buyers as to what they will actually get. Ryan Homes is quite expert at "staging" a home to sell. 

Obviously, people make the homes work most of the time. I've talked with a few (hundred) that at some point did not find the formula so workable. Some of their comments are posted, only ones I could verify. I do own the site these are on.

I do not make nor will I ever make any profit for publishing reviews online. Yes, I got into a nightmare home they built. I personally look for bad reviews on most significant product purchases though, and sometimes still opt to purchase after reading them, while being allowed to have an informed opinion. Only a handful of people, myself included, knows how much effort and expense Ryan Homes as gone through to make sure homebuyers are NOT fully informed. That fact in itself answers all the questions I personally would have.