Profile picture for pjbdsr10

should I update my condo?

My property value has dropped, should I still update my 1985 condo? I already have new carpet and paint through out, but my kitchen and bath are 1985.

September 01 2010 - Sylvania

Today's buyers are looking to buy a home in "move in" condition. If they have to do any work they will want to get your home for a cheap price. My general response without seeing your bathroom is to say update the floor, put in a new vanity, sink and faucet, replace the light fixture, perhaps even a new medicine cabinet. If the tub/shower tile is still in good shape, regrout around the tub as that will give it a fresh look. If you haven't painted recently a light beige color will make your bathroom sparkle.

you will just get back what you put in for updating kitchen and bathroom, but it will make it more likely to sell

If you are planning to sell I would contact a Real Estate Agent in your area and have them do a CMA (comparable market analysis) for you so you know what your property is worth in this market.  Then I would get estimates on the upgrades you want to do so you know how much they will cost.  Once you've done this you will then be able to see if it is worth spending the money.  I would hate to see you over improve the property and not make your money back.

One man's upgrade is another man's disgust!  You like hard wood floors, they want rugs. you like french doors, they like sliders, Upgrades are fine if you find buyers that appreciate them. Other wise you may hear someone say, uk! that color is horrible, oh I hate wood!, those window treatments have to go!  So don't go out of your way to upgrade for the sale of the home, upgrade because you like the improvements yorself!

I have found contractors are much more reasonably priced right now. Also there are great buys for cabinets, granite countertops and tile now too.Do your shopping and check on Craigslist too! 

Kitchen and bathrooms are huge considerations when buyers are looking at property.

Look at what you cost will be to update your condo.  Will it make since economically, or if your motivated to sell, you may simply want to do it to make your property more appealling.

Sylvania is a sought after community, especially for relocating buyers. Because buyers moving from out of town need a home in move-in condition, some small updates could improve your marketability. Consult with your Realtor before making these changes. We can provide you with guidance on the best improvements to make for your price range and area.

Yes.  Today's buyers are more demanding than ever. With so many homes to consider, buyers are looking for any reason to eliminate your home from the list. Outdated details are an immediate turn off for most buyers, so help your home sell itself by updating to current looks and trends as well as modern appliances, colors and finishes.

Updating may add to living pleasure, or if you are thinking of selling a tattered kitchen or bathroom can be a negative.  Why don't you tell us more so we can explore ideas with you rather than writing a lot of words not pertinent to the root of your question?