skill sets of the well balanced, successful agents?

what is the balance of successful agents (those making avg to avg+ income) between the focus/concentration of efforts on listing activities vs selling activities?

and, if the home seller could determine that skill balance in a potential listing agent,  would a seller want an agent that has higher income from selling, listing, or perfect income balance between the two skill sets?

curious on behalf of sellers wanting to make informed decisions about hiring agents to sell their home.

February 14 2008 - US

Profile picture for Nauntie

Think I would look at all the factors and determine where the strongest skill is with that particualr agent.  If they sell more than they list; what can they provide to you to 'prove' their value/worth as a listing agent?  I know several agents who only want to 'deal' with listings; and would just prefer to pick up their commissions for pulling up information on houses, unlocking the front door for their clients and then sit back and wait for the offer and negotiations to begin.  On the other hand, if they have numerous listings; what are their days on market?  What are the actual saleprices on sold listings and how do they compare with the list prices?  Another basic question is:  do they answer the phone and return messages?  Do they respond to your initial queries in a timely manner?  I for one would prefer someone who has fewer listings, witha proven track record and the time for me as their client.  If you set up an interview with an agent, and they are late, don't call if they need to reschedule; keep you apprised of their progress; would you want them to represent you in a very significant financial transaction? 

February 14 2008

wow! very telling.... a day later and no agents willing to reveal their marketview?

February 15 2008
Profile picture for Alan May

Jonas... maybe you can clarify... I'm not sure what you're really asking... and that's why I haven't responded.

February 15 2008

My initial response to the title was.....

Good sense of humor, ability to roll with the punches, thick skin, flexibility, etc.

Then I read the rest of the post and realized that wasn't the type of well balanced being referred to here. :)

Are you asking if it is better to list with an agent that has a history of doing more listings or one that does more sales?

February 15 2008

I’m sure you’ve heard the saying, 20% of the Agents get 80% of all the business. It’s true because success breads success. It doesn’t necessarily mean that the high producing agent, listing or selling, is going to do better job for you or yield better results. An agent who in not carrying a huge inventory of listings is probably going to be able to service you better, you won’t just be another listing.

February 15 2008

Anita & MG..

Yes & Yes...I'm asking which type agent is best to list with....high producing listers or high producing selling agents and I realize the 20/80 rule too.   Probably more like 10% of the agents make 80% of the total commission income in the business( brokers not withstanding).

I could argue the point both ways in my mind...

I hire a high producing lister, who gets a high % of their listings sold obviously knows how to market and conversely I would think one could argue the point that the potential listing agent you would hire with a larger % of their total income coming from sales might bode well that this agent could very well know best how to get you buyers brought in to sign the purchase offer.

was hoping you agents would have the proper perspective on which choice potentially serves the seller the best? 

February 15 2008

There is not a correct answer. With someone like myself, not a big listing agent, I would argue that I would service the listing better and my marketing would be superior and specific to your property. The advantage that the big listing agent has is that if a buyer calls about one of their listings and that listing does not work out, they can offer one of their other listings to show. They also often have more clout to get price reductions if needed…It usually comes down to price. Don’t over think it. Interview 3-4 agents and then go with your gut.

February 15 2008

When hiring a listing agent be prepared to visit with 6 or so. Let them all know the names of the others and ask them each to provide their opinions of the others. Even try a few in from the same firm.

I think one of the most important things you need is a realtor who comes with a good reputation for communication, attitude and ability to work with others in the field.

When you conduct your first interview ask the agent to recommend three others that they have worked with from other firms and ask them why.

February 16 2008
Profile picture for rockinblu

I would immediately rule out the backstabbers.

February 16 2008
Profile picture for rockinblu

No Marci, I am not going to post the tattletale strategy again. :)   A Realtor in the Chicago area probably has it copyright protected by now anyway. However, I was very tempted.

February 16 2008

rockinblu:

Yep, one way to weed them out.

About a year ago, I lost out on a listing to another agent I recommended when asked. At the time I thought it was an intersting question to be asked and I admit was a taken back a little. She actually called me and thanked me for recommending her. It did sell, my wife and I had a nice gift of dinner out and life goes on. Did it cost me about $2000? Maybe, however in the long run I'll be just fine.

February 16 2008

One thing you may find with many of the high producing agents is that they prospect for new business on a regular basis. This may or may not benefit you as a seller depending on how they approach the process.
There are agents who believe you need 5 to 10 listings just to sell one. I'm trying to believe that it takes one listing to sell one. Let's see how that works out for me ;)

Communication, knowledge and availability are things that I value in an agent.
Experience, results and yes apparently in this market a good sense of humor will probably serve you well.

February 16 2008
Profile picture for Alan May

copywritten... hmmmmm

February 17 2008
Profile picture for rockinblu

ELV!S

LOL

February 17 2008

Why has no one considered a class action suit against Zillow
Profile picture for plusmarktraining
Latest reply by plusmarktraining
Using Assist to Sell
Profile picture for Consuelo Johnson
Latest reply by Consuelo Johnson
Should a person sell the home themselves?
Profile picture for jesus morales
Latest reply by jesus morales
We Buy Houses-Just another SCAM!
Profile picture for adventur90
Latest reply by adventur90
July 22 | 37 answers
nail holes
Latest reply by Pasadenan
July 21 | 13 answers