Profile picture for carmenriv262

someone wants to buy my house and wants to pay cash for it

This person is in the military in Afghanistan and has never seen my property.  He says he will pay $500,000.00 cash.
  • January 16 - Miami

You know any serviceman has that kind of savings? Ha ha!
  • July 25

Profile picture for JohnDeckREMAX
When it looks too good to be true it normally is.  One thing to remember is that buyers from other countries and people in the military stationed abroad are almost always represented by someone in our country (usually a realtor).  They are just as worried about getting scammed as we are and want someone looking out for them to help stave off any potential issues.  If someone is willing to start a real estate purchase with a random email, they are most likely trying to scam you.
  • July 25

Don't trust... get a realtor like myself to do the deal for you .. a solid closing

Call me at [contact information deleted by Zillow moderator. Please see our Good Neighbor Policy for posting guidelines]
  • July 25

Profile picture for zuser20140604181018283
I just had someone in the military offer 520,000 for my home sight unseen.  He says he is in Afghanistan and has no agent.  Glad I saw this.
  • June 14

Just to be on the safe side, I can set up a contract for you and have all the cash funds wired through our company escrow account.  That way if it is legit your bank information will be kept safe.  They can try all they want to get funds from our escrow account and they will fail.  We can even put your name as "Owner of Record" to start the process if you have concerns.  Once they make a substantial deposit I will have the Title Company issue the HUD 1 and see what happens.  If they put up a decent earnest money deposit to our escrow account you will know they are real.  If not is did not cost you a penny and you have piece of mind that your hard earned money and identity will be kept safe.

I wish you the best!

Nick Quay
Director of Quay Realty Group at Interinvestments Realty Inc.
  • March 08

You know what. I was wrong. Tell the guy you will accept cash and you don't want to use any bank or escrow tie ups. Tell him once her sends you his duffle bag of cash, you'll send him the deed. 

• January 17

I think you see the total consensus here. These people online completely prey on people who are unknowing in hopes of successfully defrauding someone. It is great that you were suspicious enough to ask. I had someone whom I communicated with via email for several weeks who claimed to be in China and trying to purchase an apartment building here in the state. He sent all of what appeared to be legitimate documentation but refused to communicate on the phone even at my expense. I finally had a Real Estate attorney friend of mine who had some experience with China, do a little research for me and he determined it was all a scam. When in doubt go always ask. Good going!
  • January 17

Total scam.  Most likely they will "pay" you more to make sure they "get the deal" then will ask you to send back the extra right away.
  • January 17

Sounds like a scam.  Tell him to e-mail you "proof of funds".
  • January 17

I have a bridge you can buy with the proceeds!

You've encountered a very common scam.  Protect yourself and don't communicate with the person again
  • January 16

What could go wrong ?

• January 16

Dominick is correct. WE BUY HOUSES CASH!!! Guess what, if you have a $700k house and someone offers you $500k Cash. They will sell to someone for $550k and pocket the 50. Then pay you in CASH.
Now look at this, you sell your house at market rate and a buyer comes along and finances his deal and closes on your house. You still have CASH! But more.
  • January 16

"This person is in the military in Afghanistan and has never seen my property.  He says he will pay $500,000.00 cash."

Then that person is a scammer hoping that you will be greedy or naive enough to take the bait. Here's a thought, ask them to give you the name and contact information from their commander so you can verify their military status.

My guess is that there will be a lot of excuses, more pushing/fakemoney flashing and no contact after that. No one legitimate offers cash for a house unseen. Few in the military (or not) have $500,000 in cash. Run don't walk.
  • January 16

Whats your concern?  Keep in mind a cash offer doesnt necessarily mean a duffle bag full of $100 bills. A cash offer means the offer isnt subject to the buyer obtaining financing . If someone is making a cash offer , I recommend asking for proof of funds & make sure they put a deposit into escrow . Dont hesitate to contact me direct with any other questions or concerns you may have.
  • January 16

What is your house worth? If it's value is less then Hello Red Flag. If its worth 1 mil and your selling it for 500K cash I have a cash buyer too.
Cash is good, quicker transaction where as the buyer does not need to get financing, or not get approved in the escrow process. It usually takes a few more weeks for a financing transaction to close.
Good Luck
  • January 16