Profile picture for AudreyDeWaldSaylor

stained or painted baseboards and doors - mixed medium in a house?

My house in 5 yrs old, in MN and has a contemporary/traditional feel. Cherry stained baseboards and doors on the main and second floor. We just did the basement and it has a tropical feel (light orange and yellow) I want to paint the doors, baseboards and trim in Bremuda Sand (off white). Male species says keep the same cherry stain throughout because it will effect resale. Please advise.

June 01 2011 - US

Hi Audrey;

If the basement is totally separate from the rest of the house, which I am assuming it is, I don't see a problem painting the trim, etc., as it will complement the style of decor you have created in that area. I would carry the cherry stain down the stairs and start with the painted on the lower level.

Candi

I can't advise on the resale value but transitioning from stained trim to painted trim will look fine depending on the design of the house.

If there is a door dividing the basement from the rest of the house then just make that the transition point.

My preference is to keep the trim the same throughout IF the basement is similar in construction and quality to the rest of the house.  If, for example, the house has high ceilings and lots of windows while the basement is low and dark then there is such a noticeable transition that the trim difference won't matter.

I hope this helps,
Ethan  

Cesspool vs Septic
Profile picture for ochsnola
Latest reply by ochsnola
August 01 | 9 answers
How do you replace electrical wiring in a home? Costs?
Latest reply by user7705784
June 12 | 21 answers
Does putting a fence on your property, increase the value?
Profile picture for Shannon Biszantz
Latest reply by Shannon Biszantz
June 05 | 13 answers
Clogged Drain solutions....DIY-using softdrinks???
Profile picture for warchildbosnia
Latest reply by warchildbosnia
May 30 | 25 answers
Cost of Building A Garage
Profile picture for Robert Adams
Latest reply by Robert Adams
May 15 | 5 answers