Profile picture for AudreyDeWaldSaylor

stained or painted baseboards and doors - mixed medium in a house?

My house in 5 yrs old, in MN and has a contemporary/traditional feel. Cherry stained baseboards and doors on the main and second floor. We just did the basement and it has a tropical feel (light orange and yellow) I want to paint the doors, baseboards and trim in Bremuda Sand (off white). Male species says keep the same cherry stain throughout because it will effect resale. Please advise.

June 01 2011 - US

Hi Audrey;

If the basement is totally separate from the rest of the house, which I am assuming it is, I don't see a problem painting the trim, etc., as it will complement the style of decor you have created in that area. I would carry the cherry stain down the stairs and start with the painted on the lower level.

Candi

I can't advise on the resale value but transitioning from stained trim to painted trim will look fine depending on the design of the house.

If there is a door dividing the basement from the rest of the house then just make that the transition point.

My preference is to keep the trim the same throughout IF the basement is similar in construction and quality to the rest of the house.  If, for example, the house has high ceilings and lots of windows while the basement is low and dark then there is such a noticeable transition that the trim difference won't matter.

I hope this helps,
Ethan  

Are "Electronic Gopher Repellers" Effective?
Profile picture for Paul - Team Teasdale Realty
Latest reply by Paul - Team Teasdale Realty
Where is the best place to buy major appliances?
Profile picture for NiceGuy4
Latest reply by NiceGuy4
April 03 | 37 answers
Replacement Windows
Profile picture for timmcnerney0
Latest reply by timmcnerney0
March 29 | 71 answers
Home Elevator
Profile picture for Elizabeth vaughan
Latest reply by Elizabeth vaughan
March 27 | 13 answers
Pre-fab tub/shower surround or tiled walls?
Profile picture for Dino Micheli
Latest reply by Dino Micheli
February 20 | 15 answers