Profile picture for salwa1

the final walk through, what are things I should look for?

I am looking to close on my house next week and my real estate agent want me to do the walk through tomorrow but I have not received the garage doors opener, bills indicating the repair. My REA told me that he's getting this taking care of and I should do the walk through encase something is wrong with the house the sellers can address it before we close as they can not give a credit because everything has to be documented on the HUD and this could delay the closing.
Is it ok to do the walk through 4 days before closing. Please help!

• August 02 2012 - Herndon
  • 0

Best Answer

Profile picture for NikoleD
I would get everything not completed in writing from seller with a time frame for completion. sounds like a new home? if so this is common. The final walk thru should be to determine items in need of repair are completed and if any new ones are found they should be on a repair list as well. I also recommend doing another the day before closing or the morning of. Always get everything in writing! 

First of all I would not do a walk through with a client more than one day ahead of closing.  Anything could happen in that week and you would be out of luck because you wouldn't know until you get the keys and by then it is too late.  You have already signed off on the property.  I recommend that you do a walkthough the hour before closing.  If it is a large property then allow two hours.  Do not let a listing agent or seller push you into closing or signing anything early.  This is a crucial time and when many people think that everything is done and nothing to worry about.  Wrong.  That time is after you have done everything else right and get the keys. 
When you do the walkthrough take the paper with you that you used to write down the problems that were to be corrected.  Make sure the house is clean, doors are all keyed properly and that keys work.  Make sure the water is on and the electric is on and it has been transferred into your name as of the day of closing.  Not before.  Make sure that all of the fixtures are the same ones that you saw when you purchased the property.  Lighting fixures, toilet fixtures, appliances, washer/dryers etc.  Everything shold be the same as when you last saw the property except for repairs.  Make sure repairs have been done properly.  Good luck.

Bring your inspection report with you and make sure what you wanted addressed has been done. I have had people hire me to return even on walk through day to re-inspect items of concern.

You can actually do two walkthroughs, one 4 days before closing to ensure that the work promised has been done and the other one on the way to the closing to ensure that there has not been any further damage or that items that were to stay have not been taken by the seller or tenant.  On a walk through a few months ago we found that the copper pipes have been stolen so we had to postpone the closing until they were replaced.  The garage door openers will be given to you at closing as well as the keys to the house.  Your buyer agent should also obtain proof of the work that was done. Good luck in your new home!

Yea we don't know how major the repairs are, but I can tell you I had my buyers walk through a home a week prior to closing, because one of the items we had a seller repair was a door going into mudroom. I wanted to make sure my buyers were satisfied with the door, and if not we had time to address before closing.

And it just sounds like your REA is playing it safe because for whatever reason he is concerned something may pop up. I actually give that Realtor props, because not every agent will think ahead to possible problems. Instead you get to the day of closing and everyone starts freaking out over items that should have been addressed earlier.

With that said There is no "written rule" that you have to do the walk thru the day of closing or before. It is just when all items have been satisfied. In my case of the buyer with the door issue we did go back for another walk-thru the day before closing. There was just one item I had to check off.

And that is what it is all about. What is the checklist of items we need completed before the closing can take place. I don't know what those items are for you, but I can just tell you that I have done 1 to 4 walk through's before because of complicated transactions.

So stop messing around Zillow and talking to us Realtors 4 days before closing. You have trusted your Realtor up to this point so don't stop now. Communication is #1 reason why our relationships with customers break down. Honesty fixes just about everything and talk to him/her about your concerns and let them know what you need to still feel good about the closing.

Profile picture for amandathomas
Hi salwa1,

The final walk-through is typically scheduled AFTER all repair items have been completed, and usually the day prior to closing.  If the house is already vacant, it may be acceptable to do it sooner. As long as the repairs have been completed, and your agent is expecting a copy of the receipt for any repairs to be in before closing, you can still visually inspect the property & repairs.

Buyers often want the visual reassurance that nothing has been damaged by the sellers upon move-out, and you would want to check the integrity and quality of any repair items that were part of the purchase contract.

Keys and garage door openers are typically only given to buyers after closing and funding occurs.