the neighbour's expanding invaded my house privacy?

we have some concerns about our neigbours expanding: My house is in one acre zone. once it was very good in terms of privacy. Now, one of my neighor expanding his small house into a big one. Before his expanding, only one our my window from bathroom can see his house, now, his new house has big windows which can see my house from two bed romms and my family room and living room , my backyard balcony. I really feel my privacy has been invaded a lot and it also may devalued my house.I checked the city hall, his house is extanded to the wetland of his territory, and the city hall gave him approval of his house expanding to wetland. Is anything we can do? your advice is highly appreciated.

September 11 2012 - Stamford

What a pity, I sympathize as we're very private people.  If the expansion has been approved by the city, the best you can do is to do some creative landscaping to block views.  Recently we planted some clumping bamboo to block a view after a tree went down in a windstorm.   Unfortunately our choice may take a couple of years to block the view.

build a razor wired fence

Profile picture for BungalowMo
I sympathize as well!  Some people really have no concept of the bigger picture or how people are going to feel about this down the road.

Although it's not practical..I can see a tall wooden fence with a BIG face with BIG eyes painted on the side that faces them!

Realistically...the bamboo is a good idea, but be careful as it can tend to run amuk if not careful.  Maybe it will spread onto their side!

This is really unfortunate, but if they are not invading your space by crossing the property lines and the city approved it, wets suggestions are as good as anything.  Building privacy via the landscape.  The other option unfortunately would be to list and sell the home, and move to a more secluded location.  That is a tough route to swallow, but it will solve the problems that you are facing.

If the permit was obtained, there is nothing you can do. You can question or bring your concerns to permitting authority but they check for these types of situations before giving permit anyway so there is very less chance for anything to happen with that. May be use some blinds and curtains for a cheaper options to fix this problem.

Did they violate the zoning requirements?

Funny thing. As property owners, we don't have a right to the kind of privacy you mention. As long as somebody else owns the neighboring parcel, they can build to the limits of the law, without regard to how little we like it.

Sad, but true.

Sad state of affairs in our country when a property owner seeks to control what another does on their own property, within the law and current local permits.

What is more efficient? Forced air or a boiler?
Profile picture for BungalowMo
Latest reply by BungalowMo

1. 697 Cove Rd APT 1G, Stamford, CT Home For Sale
    697 Cove Rd APT 1G, Stamford, CT 06902

2. 146 Hendrie Ave, Riverside, CT Home For Sale
    146 Hendrie Ave, Riverside, CT 06878

For Sale: $4,595,000

3. 106 Rockledge Dr, Stamford, CT Home For Sale
    106 Rockledge Dr, Stamford, CT 06902