Profile picture for mshehata1

the seller packed off the sale after he sent me an email accepting my offer

the seller in a reolcation sale, sold the house to other buyer after he and his real state agent sent me seperate e-mails they accepted my offer and will not accept other offers and will cease showing the house to other buyers, can I force the sale by court or sue them for damages
  • April 16 2010 - Katy
  • 0

Profile picture for The LaPeer Team

I try to impress on my clients that until we have an executed contract w/all signatures, there is no contract. That includes any additional addendum that the relo company may require. Sometimes there is nothing a buyer can do if a relo pulls the plug on your verbally accepted offer. There is usually a clause somewhere that states that they can still accept other offers. Maybe it is something in Katy as I had this same thing happen to a buyer client in that area!

If you're not out any money, earnest money  etc. than I would say just take it as a lesson learned and move on.  Emails are not substitutes for contracts.  They (seller and their agent) apparently knew that.  Why didn't you have a signed contract?  Were you represented by an agent?

Naima

I'm no attorney either, but the damages would be hard to prove. They may have, instead, done you a favor. No way to tell.

I'd go after another house.   Even if you can win this battle it may take you longer and more work and more expense than trying it.

My guess is to win the judge will want more than emails.  They will want a signed contract.  No contract no win, but that is something you can discuss with your attorney.   I doubt emails will work to show an enforecable contract.

Bruce

Sorry to hear about this frustration. I am not an attorney, and recommend that you may wish to consult one.  I'm guessing If you have a signed purchase contract from the seller accepting your offer, then you may have some legal footing.  If you don't have a signed contract, then you are up the creek without a paddle even with the E-mail evidence.