Profile picture for bears100

?? to all agents-opinion needed on something....

my realtor, who is also my aunt, recently suggested that I take down a large oil painting of a tiger that is hanging in the family room because she seems to think it may be offensive to certain cultures.  Any thoughts on this?

• January 04 2008 - US

Hey Vickie.

You can try googling Tiger symbologies to find out if it may be offensive to some people or not.  If you are selling this home, take it down, what you think looks great may not be what someone else will feel, everyone has different taste.  Make it look less personal.  If this is your own home, and its something you like, I dont think you invite customers over your house for coffee and tea all the time, in that case I would not worry.

Best of Luck

Alen Moshkovich

Prudential Douglas Elliman, NY

Profile picture for Anita Crum

And in some other cultures the tiger is a good symbol.  And of course for some people this might bring to mind the recent incident at the zoo where the tiger escaped and killed one person.  Seriously though, it's so hard when selling a home to try and take down anything and everything that might offend someone or another.  At some point you would end up with blank walls.  Does the picture fit well with the rest of the decor?  If you take it down will you replace it with something else?

Vicky,

Your aunt was probably trying not to hurt your feelings. She most likely does not find the picture appealing and that buyers may feel the same way. You have hired her to help sell your house. Try to keep your personal feelings out of it. She is giving you her professional opinion and that is probably worth something.

Profile picture for bears100

Here is the link to my home for sale.  There is one photo, the family room, which has the picture in question.   If interested, check it out and let me know what you think.  I have had the picture hanging in all 7 previous homes that I sold and it's never been an issue, but my aunt thinks possibly because we have many potential buyers whom are of indian descent, and she wonders if it could be an issue.  I guess it's also possible that in this horrible real estate market, we tend to ask these questions in attempt to figure out just why in the world our homes are not selling! 

http://www.zillow.com/HomeDetails.htm?zprop=63205106

Profile picture for Pacita Dimacali

When in doubt, ujtilize the simple principle that "Less is more".

I once had a client wouse property I had staged professionally. We went for the British Colonial look with some animal prints as accents. When he saw the finished product,  he very softly told me that in his culture (he's Muslim), they do not allow pictures or even drawings of live beings (animals and people). Since he is the owner, we respected his point of view and replaced the offending pictures with abstract prints instead.

Your home is lovely --- however as some staging professionals would say, we decorate for ourselves, we stage for the masses. As such, it is always best to neutralize where you can since you are trying to appeal to those masses.

I would defer to your aunt's recommendation. She only wants the best for you and that is to sell your home. Isn't that what you want, too?

Profile picture for ZVending

Nice house, I love that kitchen. I'm not an agent but I peeked at your listing. I think it's your aunt's way of politely asking you to put the painting away for showings, it's nice, but it calls a lot of attention to itself. You want the buyers to focus on the house, not your stuff.

Profile picture for krdesign

I  looked at your photos.  If you want to keep the picture, put it above the fireplace....better "fit" than above media center and also better "fit" than the two small pictures on the mantle.  Give it a try and see what you think. 

Profile picture for lovenyc

Stunning home and perfect accents.  The Tiger oil painting looks great there...only thing I suggest is raising it up on that wall to be about 6-8 inches higher in that spot.  There's to much space from ceiling on down.  By raising the oil it will soften and accentuate the painting.

I have a feeling your Aunt doesn't like the art work. 

Profile picture for wterrybell

Leave it.  If the buyers like it they may ask you to leave it when you move.  If not, they'll be glad to see it go.

Has your Aunt been giving you feedback from showings?  If so, is this request based on negative feedback?  It seems a bit of a stretch, but that's the only reason I can think of.  Your house appears to show beautifully.  Good luck!

Most buyers wont tell you "I dont like that picture and therefore am not buying the house"  The way a home is decorated, staged, appointed, etc lends to the "feel" of a home.  Im sure it's a lovely painting, but my advice would have been the same.  The only focal point in a home should be the home.  Neutral and general is always best.  If your home is not selling, it's for one or more of three reasons.  Marketing, Condition or Price.  You are in control of the condition and price and your Realtor is in control of the marketing.  Best wishes!  Charlotte

Profile picture for bears100

Charlotte, normally I would agree with "marketing" being an issue.  But I am seeing house after house after house that is sitting for months and months, even in my area where homes typically sell very quickly.  I don't think marketing or lack of it is the cause.  I think the market is just so flooded with homes for sale and many buyers are just sitting on the sidelines watching to see how low prices will go.