Profile picture for slappomatic

to fix or not to fix a bathroom

we are planning to sell our house in the next few months but the bathroom needs updating. Should we make the investment the bathroom before selling.the bathroom is extremely small can a person over 200 pounds may have difficulty moving around in it. I remodeled 90 percent of the rest of the house but not the bathroom. Should I spend several thousand dollars to renovate it myself? I owe 138k and the market is only about 132k. I have enough to cover my costs for closing, but wondering if it's worth my effort to make the house more marketable. There is some visible mold.

December 02 2013 - Bethlehem Township

Clean your bathroom then prime the wall / ceiling when dry paint with a semi-gloss paint put in
 some new towels if you do it yourself it will cost about $100 also if bathtub is old you can have it
 reglazed by a professional the cost is about $350 and the bathtub will look like new it last
 about 3years. Good luck !

If you are planning to sell your home, I would advise you to make a few cosmetic changes, but not to invest in a major renovation.  Regrouting your tile and using a grout that contains anti-mold agent might be helpful with mildew plus, a new coat of paint.
Replace or repair any broken fixtures too.
If you find that you are having difficulty selling your home specifically because of the small bathroom,
then you might want to consider the renovation at that point.
But I would see how it goes first and get feedback from potential buyers & realtors who are showing your home.
Another thing to remember is that not everyone wants to buy another person's taste - so a renovation might work against you.
If the bathroom can be renovated by a new buyer, they may prefer to put their personal stamp on it!

I almost never recommend that someone remodel a "high-impact" room (kitchen, bath) prior to sale given that it is a) high cost and b) taste-sensitive...  Specifically, you may spend a lot of money and end up remodeling in a style not in accordance with the taste of many potential buyers.  

In this case, however, the double-whammy of a) mold and b) an unfinished room amid a mostly-finished home may be too unappealing...  Accordingly, in this case, I would recommend you fix the mold issue and lightly remodel (in neutral taste/color).

Good luck w/ the sale.

I would say paint the bathroom. Then put the house up for sale. See what kind of feed back you get for it.
Then make your decision. My company is located in the Center Valley area so if you need a listing agent. Let me know. Good Luck!!

Mold is a deal killer.  At least clean that up and use a professional.  I would clean the mold, put the house on the market and see what happens in 30 days.  If no offers by then, do the bathroom over

If you remodeled the rest of the house, why not finish it up with the bathroom? Kitchens and bathrooms sell houses. A small bathroom can be done for just a couple thousand dollars. You will profit more than that if you do the bathroom. If nothing else slap a coat of paint on the walls and get rid of the mold. Mold does not increase the value of a home and paint is super cheap!