upstairs laundry or extra bedroom/office

I am renovating a 4 bedroom rowhouse. There is a kitchenette on the 2nd floor that no longer has the proper water or gas hookups.

I could make this room another bedroom or an office area, or as was suggested to me, upstairs laundry. 

I have the ceiling gutted below it so the hookups won't be an issue. However, will I recoup the money I spend on it to make it a laundry room? I could make it a livable office for about $200.

• August 17 2013 - Lower Lawrenceville
  • 0

MOST WIVES WANT THE 2ND FLOOR LAUNDRY AND THEY HAVE MORE INFLUENCE WHEN IT COMES TO MAKE A DECISION

Profile picture for 2 Elm Greenwich
With a 4 bedroom house, you're going to be washing a lot of laundry if those bedrooms are all occupied. 

A lot of people find the upstairs laundry room a lot more convenient than hauling loads of clothes up and down from the basement - especially when you're doing it with frequency.

Laundry areas mean a lot to large family, offices seem to be an interest in any home now days also.

I have designed a few laundry room for clients and they are always shocked to see the layout.
The most effective ( but seems never to be thought of ) is 2 dyers, 1 washer. You have a 12-15min. wash cycle vs a 60-90min. dry cycle.

If you want to make a feature for a four bedroom house... that probably doesn't exist in surrounding homes... that would be it...people just don't think about it till they see it.
Does it really matter where you locate it, laundry areas should be in rooms not spaces, unless there is space issues.
-Joseph-

Profile picture for CallTheSisters
Upstairs laundries seem to be passe.  Most buyers are not impressed.  They are a potential water hazard.  1st floor laundry is more desirable.

I'd opt for the bedroom or the office.

Depending on your family situation, an office would be a great addition. Typically a room that serves a function such a business (office) or accommodation (family) can lend value to the structure and may be a strong selling point.  However, your preference will ultimately be the deciding factor. Good Luck!

Cynthia Williams
[Contact information removed by Zillow moderator. Please see our Good Neighbor Policy for information.]

I think I'd go for the laundry.  It is more appealing then basement laundry.  I I also think w/ 4 bedrooms the likely hood of needing a 5th room to use as an office is not as high as the option for someone using one of the 4 bedrooms as an office/etc. 

If this property is in Lower Lawrenceville, with all of the renovations happening in that area, the demand is cutting edge and trendy, practical renovations, and an upstairs laundry room would be very appealing.

Molly Finley
[Hotlinks removed by Zillow moderator. Please see our Good Neighbor Policy for information.]

Thank you both. I should have stated I am adding heat supply to room and it already has 2 windows and a shelved closet.

Personally, I would not do an upstairs laundry. I'd choose to do an office with a small built in closet for "storage" instead. Even without a window, many appraisers will add almost the value of a bedroom although you may nor be able to count it as one.

An upstairs laundry might make your home more appealing than another in your price range, but I don't believe it will net you extra money where another bedroom will. An office won't add value either unless you put in a closet so it can double as a bedroom - as long as it has a window for egress.