Profile picture for lori112

va loans?

Has anyone had experience using VA loans? My fiancee is elgible and i have his eligibility certificate. Trying to decide whether to go VA or conventional. We have 20% down payment but might prefer saving it for improvements to home.

June 03 2010 - US

lori112,
I remembered that there is a VA guideline about 2 unrelated buyers and one was a Vet other was not and amount of eligibility was reduced 50%.  Same rule would not apply to a married couple, but I noticed you mentioned fiancee so that could come into play if house was purchased before marriage. It has been years ago when I read about guideline and it may not still be applicable , but another example of all the facts need to be evaluated to arrive at best option for your specifics.

Profile picture for lori112
we are in Illinois

Profile picture for lori112
interesting replies. Thank you all very much for your thoughts. I did not consider 15 year VA product. I'll take a look at those rates. We qualify for 30 year conventional or VA. My credit scores are quite high 790-820 and his, the veteran, are lower but still good -low 700's. I actually qualify without his income on a conventional (we're looking at 400K sales price). Just trying to weigh options. It's nice to have cash in reserve so even though we don't need to go VA and originally, I had shunned the funding fee, I'm starting to see some attractive qualities to that loan.

Interesting options though like going from A to Z.... you didn't mention sales price, credit scores, or income/debt ratio, all of which could make a difference as to best program option. Something in between could be an FHA 15 yr. loan with 10% down and still avoid MI.  If putting 20% down still leaves you 4-5 months housing payment in reserves and funds to do improvements going conventional may be better option.  Putting down 10% and holding back monies for reserves and improvements makes VA more attractive. Get a referral to a local loan officer and explore best option.

CASH IS KING, but the mortgage debt can be a  burden.  If you can consider doing a 15 year loan see which way works better for you. A 15 year with 20% down payment would be great, but if you can qualify with 0 down do the 15 year and pay extra on the mortgage.  If the 15 year  payment is too strong of payment consider a 20 year. Buy now the prices are great!

I have closed over 300 VA loans and a veteran myself.  You may want to keep your cash liquid and just finance the full purchase price with a VA loan.  Use your cash for improvements to the home. 

Where are you located?

If the improvements are cosmetic and wont really pull the value up, put down 20% and go conventional.