Profile picture for salocin999

want to see how much my house is worth ,because i want to lower my property taxes

want to see how much my house is worth so i can try to lower my property taxes
  • September 19 2009 - US
  • 0

You can appeal your taxes without an appraiser, but you must build a case for a decrease in value and you must know your houses comps well. Zillow can be helpful, but not from the standpoint of the Zestimates. The tax board does not care about Zillow's opinion of value at all. They have a staff appraiser that will be using comps for your house to justify their current tax value. You can use Zillow to create a comp list of your own with recently sold sales of houses like yours. You can also research other comps in your area and print up the home page for each one showing past sales and property specifics. That's what I did. I also brought the percentage change in my local market from the Zindex page available to make my case that values had softened. 

Basically, you have to think like an appraiser and collect your comps before you make the appeal. I used a combination of current lot listings to contest the tax amount on the land value, current MLS listings for houses like mine, past sales on comparable houses from Zillow and the % change in the market/median for my area. The city tax appraiser disagreed with my position, but the tax appeals board agreed with me and I won my appeal with the help of information form Zillow and other sources. Zillow has a video to help you find comps here and they also have an article on selecting good comps here. You can win, but you must be prepared. Hope the links help.

If you are wanting to get your taxes reduced you will need an appraisal by a licensed appraisor!