Profile picture for neilkothari

we are thinking of locating to las vegas/Henderson area in next few months.How is this area to raise

we are thinking of locating to las vegas/Henderson area in next few months.How is this area to raise kids?
Our main reason to move there is GR8 weather, low housing price (all cash deal) and no state tax... please advise..

December 19 2011 - Las Vegas

Hello Neil,

The answer is sorta mixed on the issue of whether Vegas/Henderson is a great place to raise kids.  The short answer is that it depends on your children.  As a Father of 5, I can tell you each child has his own experience with growing up in Las Vegas, much of which depends on their personality and who they are attracted to when they begin establishing friends.  The longer answer depends on a few other factors, such as how old they are, what are their academic interests, do you have a religious affiliation, will you put them in public or private school, and what was their experience where they are coming from. 

Las Vegas is much like any other place in the country, except that as much as 30% of the people who live here obtain their living in some form or fashion from "The Strip", whether is be directly as in gaming, entertainment, or hospitality, or by working for a company that services "The Strip", such as slot machine repair, grocery supply to the restaurants, etc.

My experience has taught me that the biggest predictor of what type of experience your children have is learned from their lifestyle and interests they had wherever you are coming from and how quickly you are able to plug into some sort of values based group, like a church. synagogue, or other organization - on or off campus.

A report out just this week shows that crime in Las Vegas is down 16% and down 6% in Henderson, with Henderson receiving accolades from Forbes magazine http://www.forbes.com/sites/bethgreenfield/2011/12/15/americas-safest-cities/  for being one of the best and safest places in the country to live.  In fact, they ranked #2 among the safest Cities in the entire Nation.

We also have mixed experiences in our schools.  I will tell you that if your children have specific interests in school, there are actually schools they may like to attend that specialize in their area of interest, from Computers, to Law, to Hospitality, to Mechanical engineering, and so on... the list is quite long.  Google "Las Vegas magnet schools".

No one can tell you for sure how great it is for raising children, but I can tell you, we do turn out some great kids.  Each of my 5 children had very different experiences growing up, and each one of them turned out just great! (This is where I give the Gold recommendation sounding disclaimer by saying that past success is no guarantee of future...blah, blah, blah.)

If you do decide to move here, I would be more than happy to help.

Best of luck, and thanks for reading.

Steve- What a wonderful, thoughtful reply! Thumbs up and best wishes.

Happy Holidays, Rudi

Those sound like great reasons to move here...The baby boomers dream of getting away from the cold harsh winters...where are you moving from?

[Self promotion and contact information removed by Zillow moderator. Please read our Good Neighbor Policy for more information.]

I would not think an area would be great to raise kids in an area that was based on gambling and had legal prostitution. That does not sound like it promotes good values.

Nevada does have reasonably priced housing, mild winters and favorable tax laws. You need to consider other things too like utility costs and the quality of the local schools.

I have extended family in that area in NV and some of the schools are a bit spotty. Like any other area, there are good schools if you look for them, but in many areas with reasonably priced housing the quality of the schools can be an issue in LV.

Clark County has school testing information and ratings here for schools in the area. You can also go to a site like greatschools to focus on areas with good schools. You can also ask around on the city-data forum about areas and schools. Agents are somewhat limited in what they can say about areas under Fair Housing Laws so it is always nice to get an unfiltered street level read of places from people who live there.

Henderson, NV was just listed as the #2 safest place to live in USA by Forbes

I thought that Plano, TX ranked #1 here in Forbes. An article discussing the NV MSA further is here. Did you see a more recent ranking?

[offensive content deleted by Zillow moderator.  Please review our Good Neighbor Policy for posting guidelines]

Safest City In USA

#2 Henderson, Nev.

Car fatality rank: 5

Violent crime rank: 3

The Las Vegas suburb has a low poverty rate of 7% and the casinos in the city cater mainly to locals, which "reduces traffic and the number of tourists moving about in the city," says UNLV criminologist Tamara Madensen.

Hello again Neil,

While Linda makes a good point by pointing out that Prostitution is not legal in Las Vegas, but rather in the next county 60 miles away, I think she has been hitting the Egg Nog a bit early on Christmas Eve and probably shouldn't have given a link to a brothel with inappropriate pictures on it...bad taste.  I mean, what was the point?  This is a Real Estate Forum, not a trash site.  Just a bit of decorum, and maybe lay off the peppermint schnapps so early in the day.

On another note, because Vegas is the "What happens here, stays here" Capitol, it is possible for your kids to be exposed to people and sights that they might not encounter elsewhere.  But, in all likely hood, I would bet that there are places in your own town where your children might see some things you would rather they not be exposed to.  As parents, we get the opportunity to teach our children about the stark differences in the world today and help them choose, and then hope they follow a less treacherous path.

There are definitely places in Las Vegas that I would not want to move my family...like next to the Deja Vu strip club, but the reality is that you probably don't want to live in the industrial part of town anyway.

A comment made by another person on this thread suggests that Vegas is full of corruption.  And while there is corruption here, as in all cities, I believe that there is opposition in all things.  Which means to me that for all of the Hedonistic tendencies, Las Vegas and Henderson have more churches (literally thousands) and some of the most gracious and good people in the Country.  Vegas is not Sodom or Gomorrah. The Advertisers just do a great job of making it look that way so people feel that they can come here, let their hair down for a few days and pretend that decency and morality don't matter. 

The fact of the matter is that most people who live in Vegas, rarely if ever go down to the Strip, unless relatives come into town and want to see the dancing lights of the Bellagio.

If you decide to move to Vegas/Henderson, I think you will find people just like you, worse than you, and perhaps even people who are a bit more like you might like your children to become.  I have met wonderful people here who inspire me to be a better person. You just have to look.  There are hundreds of thousands of the best people on earth right here.

Best wishes, and thanks for reading.

Linda, I never asked you about a recommendation. Neither did I ask you to come on to me. Sorry, I have better taste than to consider you or any recommendations you have to offer based on your prior experiences. It must be from prior experience as I would have no idea where that kind of thing would be found. I would never even think to look for it.

Sure a lot of offensive content in a "looking for a family home conversation".

I don't think I have ever seen anyone get spanked quite as hard as Linda did here.  I chalk it up to too much, and too early celebration with the "Spirits" of the Season.  My take away, don't post when you have been drinking.  It may seem appropriate or funny to you at the time, but probably is not.  Fortunately I am a tee-totaler, so I only have to worry about the affects of sleep deprivation on the quality of my posts.

Sunnyview, It looks to me like the person who asked this question learned one very useful fact. DO not use a realtor who gets censored that many times in one thread for inappropriate content.

Steve if Linda was so insulting because of drinking that only looks worse. We all know that when a person drinks it removes their inhibitions so their real self comes out.

If it was not based on being drunk it just showed a total lack of class and respectability.

Steve- I review my previous postings to see if I need to reply. That was not the case here. I did read all the new postings. In my opinion, I had to give your two more TUs and one for Sunnyview too.

Way back when, as a young growing boy in his early teens, I took a job selling magazines in small towns in NV, during one summer vacation. At that time Henderson was much smaller than it is now and had a large Mormon population.

I would believe a lot of their values survived and flourished there. You are an excellent example of the quality of folks that lived there and treated me so well during my brief visit. As you can see, that left a lasting impression for me.. ... Best wishes.

Happy funding, Rudi

What is the average time to close a short sale?
Profile picture for gator70
Latest reply by gator70
January 23 | 4 answers
Hard working agent
Profile picture for Deana Marr
Latest reply by Deana Marr
January 13 | 11 answers
Las Vegas Market Update (SUPPLY side of the Market)
Profile picture for Michael  Bondi
Latest reply by Michael Bondi
  • Posted by Robert Adams
  • In Investing
Looking for a rental investment in Las Vegas
Profile picture for Robert Adams
Latest reply by Robert Adams
  • Posted by user97473841
  • In Investing
Las Vegas Luxury Homes

1. 4241 Laurel Park Ave, Las Vegas, NV Home For Sale
    4241 Laurel Park Ave, Las Vegas, NV 89103

2. 5553 High Wager Way UNIT 102, Las Vegas, NV Home For Sale
    5553 High Wager Way UNIT 102, Las Vegas, NV 89122

3. 3459 Blue Heather Dr, Las Vegas, NV Home For Sale
    3459 Blue Heather Dr, Las Vegas, NV 89129