Profile picture for George Lindstrom

we have been living in a singlel family home for 12 years. We have a tree service in Marin for 20yrs

She died in June and left her home in a trust with her daughter as the beneficiary. She wants to sell the house asap and had her lawyer has given us a eviction letter to make an offer or move out by December 31st. This is very upsetting because we do no have a home to move into. We always have kept up on time and have taken good care of the property.We hired an real estate attorney for $5,000 and he hasn't done any thing to keep us in the house and know he wants another $6,200 to represent us with the deadline of December 31 getting closer. I do not think I can buy the house because of financial problems but we do want an extension at least to May 31st 2014 or if you can help us get into a house or cottage with a back yard for a dog and good parking to run my 20yr old tree business we do have the funds to get in on a lease with good references Sincerely, George Lindstrom info@geostreecare.com 479-4841

November 15 2013 - San Geronimo

Hi George:

I'm sorry you are in this difficult situation.    The CA landlord/tenant guide is very useful to understand your rights.     Please read the section about the landlord giving notice (starts page 50 on the printed number).

Spend your money looking for a new place rather giving it to a lawyer.  Call the hotline numbers in the link for assistance in understanding your rights. 

Not knowing your area and how hard is to find another home to rent, I will give you my 2 cents on this situation. It sounds like what the new owners of the home are doing is legal and within their right. Hiring and attorney to help you, with what? There is no help needed here. Unless you had some sort of interest or contract going with the person that died.
Communication sometimes is the best aid, and going to their attorney and asking for additional time, could have been granted. But now by hiring this attorney, I am not sure if you have helped or gotten in the worst situation with the owners.
I hope I would have prevented you from spending your hard earned money on this attorney. You could have always hired a Realtor to represent you in perhaps finding you a lease option deal, or a land contract where the seller is carrying the paper (owner financing) and it typically requires a good down, about $10K to $30K depending on your area.
Since you have paid this attorney, I would have them ask for additional time for you and your loved ones to stay during the holidays, and you can move next year. I think paying this attorney more money is dumping good money into bad. 
I am sorry about this situation; it happens and wish you the best and hope that you put your energy into finding a new place to rent or buy, eviction should not be the alternative.