Profile picture for ChrisCarson9

what adds more resale value to my home. A stained concrete basement floor or vinyl covered basement

What adds more resale value to my home. A stained concrete basement floor or vinyl covered basement floor?
  • February 08 2012 - Greenwood
  • 0

Best Answer

In my area, stained or etched concrete floors are popular and would be well received by buyers. They prefer them over vinyl hands down. There are  a variety of colors and styles available and they are showing up more in design articles and in high end homes.They are durable and easy to clean. It can even be a do it yourself project if you are handy.

One thing to check into before you decide, I'm not sure if a stained floor with no covering is allowed for FHA loans. it is worth asking if stained concrete will count as a finished floor.

Profile picture for mariasimsteam
Unless you are finishing the area around the floors in the basement, use the money on paint and landscape.  Putting money into the basement will not be a good return on investment in this market.

Is the basement finished, or unfinished?
If cost is not an issue, I would opt for ceramic tile.

Profile picture for Frank Rosati
I would consider what the rest of the basement consists of, cost, and return on investment. Stay away from vinyl if possible and maybe consider a ceramic. They make ceramic tile that looks like hardwood that sells in the $3.00 per sq ft range and it will cost another $3.00 for the install unless you do it yourself. If the basement is dry, you may consider a builder grade carpet which will run you somewhere in the $1.75 per sq ft range installed. Good luck and feel free to contact me with any additional questions.

Profile picture for Caveat Emptor
I'm not a fan of "rolled" vinyl, and would probably be thinking in my mind -6,000 because I need to redo the floors. they make vinyl tiles though that I have in my kitchen and I like them a lot. If you were thinking of going that way, the tiles are self adhesive,look great, and may or may not be cheaper than stained concrete.

Thank you for best answer! I appreciate it :)

Profile picture for BartMedlock
You've gotten good feedback here especially from Dan the country hick regarding cost in relation to added value. That seems to be a common misperception homeowners have about spending X and thinking that makes the home worth X more. False.

Essentially it will depend on the individual buyer. I would do it however you like it assuming your tastes have mass appeal. In other words don't pick out neon colored vinyl or a bright orange stain. I don't think basement floor finish, as someone else mentioned, is going to make/break the sale.

Probably neither.

Remember the 80:20 rule? 80% of value comes from 20% of the "things?"

So, when you're organizing bullet points for the benefits of your home, where does "basement floor finish" come in? #15? #20?

It's probably not a dealbreaker. After seeing it, I'd probably tell you to leave it alone.

Profile picture for Rita Walker
I don't know of any buyers that have ever been attracted to a vinyl floor in a basement. Buyers seem to prefer ceramic tile.

I have seen many etched concrete floors that were quite beautiful. However, I have never seen one in a basement. If you have it done, have it professionally done by a contractor with good referrals.

Profile picture for Cindy Quinton
My sister stained one of her concrete floors and the contractor made superficial cut lines to look like tile. It was beautiful when finished.

I would expect that a stained floor would lose the stain with use and wear. It also looks like a garage floor not matter what else you do.

As far as value goes I would expect the stain to add none. It is just colored concrete after all. Normally what it costs to add an improvement does not add to the value in reality. If you spend $500 improving something that does not make it worth more than the $500 spent on the improvement. Often it comes out less perhaps at $350 if you are lucky. That means add it only for your own enjoyment or for eye appeal when selling.

hmm.....whats the cost of each and why would people think they would add value ?

When you say 'stained' is it on purpose (ie acid stained) or by accident ?