Profile picture for kelly4309

what are typical real estate listing fees?

• February 16 2014 - Mt. Baker
  • 0

Hi Kelly, 

The typical fees range from 5-6% depending on the brokerage and the area, but the fee is negotiable hence the range. 

Happy Selling! 

Hello!

Commissions by law are negotiable, with that said the industry standard for full service is between 5-6%. What a Listing Broker is going to do for you in terms of marketing and attention to detail is largely dependent on what you're paying them in commission.

Probably the easiest way to see the difference is to interview three Brokers, a flat fee Broker, a discount Broker, and a full service Broker. Let them each do a market analysis for the home you want to list and review the results, then decide on what will work best for you.

I am a full service Broker and would be happy to be one of your three interviewees. My contact info is in my profile page.  

Beware the deceptive brokerage that advertises "discount" commissions with statements that say "sell your home for 1%" (I do not like deception PERIOD, as a consumer I would frown on anyone using it to get their foot inside my doorway!).

Typically in my market the range is 4-6%... if you have a conventional home in a good location that would appeal to the broadest buyer pool, then 4% is fair, if you have a unique or specialized property that may require more time, marketing placements, preparation, professional Arial photo's and/or floor plans, catered broker tours, etc. then 6% would be more fair.

always bear in mind that most all buyers in a given area will pass through those realtors who hold the largest market share of your community, In most cases buyers have a Realtor they are working with and even if you attempted to undercut them by signing on with a "cut rate" Realtor (the Realtor who eventually brings the buyer is going to come in with offers "subject to" YOU paying them $X.XX%) so it not only throws Mr. 1%'s plan right into the trash barrel... more importantly you did not receive all the activity, marketing, competition between buyers that you could have by merely listing with a full service, reputable, local real estate firm to begin with (In the end you not only lost the big impact, all Realtors showing, loving, WANTING to sell YOUR house... but your also likely going to be paying VERY near the full fee you otherwise would have been paying to have obtained this "good will" & service from the start).

Many Realtors will not even show a 1% or "cut rate" listing (by the time they pay their broker it might not even cover expenses and gas for them). If the local Realtors are showing 10 houses and their buyer inquires about your house... how is that Realtor going to lead them? If your listing agent cant even sell his own value and simply cuts his commission or attempts to find different ways to convince you he is cheaper than the other local realtors in your area (be mindful there has been many ways this is done including 1%, flat fee brokers, fsbo.com, and 100 others) would you want THAT Realtor to represent YOUR prized asset? (he cant even sell himself, how will he represent your home for you?)

I'm so sorry for being strait forward, opinionated and honest about this subject (I know some Realtors are cheering me right now, while some others may be cringing and preparing to attempt justification to you), I will not comment further in this thread to prevent flaming but will leave you with one intriguing article... http://realtormag.realtor.org/daily-news/2011/08/09/forsalebyownercom-founder-uses-agent-sell-home

wishing you the best whatever way you decide...

Profile picture for TracyLoggins
There are no set fees as mentioned above.  In our area they run from 1% to 6% that I have found.  As stated above it can largely depend on the services that you require.  I would say that normally they are 5 or 6%.

Profile picture for AdrianChu
Hi Kelly,

I just sent you a message.  Please contact me to learn more about listing commissions starting from 1 percent.  Thanks.

Regards,
Adrian

Dear Kelly 4309:

This question gets asked alot on these boards.  By listing fee, I assume you mean the commission or brokerage fee.  Commissions are negotiable and most brokerage companies have a written policy of what commission percentage they charge.  For example, my office requires us to take listings at 6% of the final sale price paid at the time of sale with half of that paid to the brokerage that represents the buyer.

There are other models of compensation out there and the consumer (you) are able to shop and compare the type of brokerage services you want and what kind of compensation model suits your needs.

Sooooo, the basic answer to your question is there is no such thing as typical listing fees(commission).

Best,
Steve