Profile picture for pnc5

what do I need to know about selling my house in Virginia Beach, Va. ASAP

September 20 2012 - Oceana

Give a call to a few local realtors, interview them all and choose the one you think will do the best job.

Hello Ms. Crampton.  Saw your question, and wanted to answer since we both reside in Virginia Beach.  My suggestion would be to select an agent with whom you feel comfortable, and with whom communication is easy.  One which you feel an element of trust, and feel they are concerned with the marketing of your home, and representation of you. 

Several things can determine if you are able to get a good solid contract, and those are:  market environment, condition of the property, location of the property, or the agent you select to represent you through the process.  The agent is one choice over which you do have control. We were just named Best of the Best in Hampton Roads, and I would love the chance to show you why. 

Feel free to contact me anytime [deleted by Zillow moderator. Please see our Good Neighbor Policy for posting guidelines]

I work in Northern Virginia, not Tidewater, so I can't advise you on your specific home. Based on my experience as a real estate agent, and also as a home-seller before I got my real estate license, I suggest that any seller contact two or three real estate agents that are active in your subdivision and ask them to prepare a "comparative market analysis" ("CMA") to compare your house with other houses that have recently sold, failed to sell after months on the market, or are currently for sale. These agents should be able to advise you on the appropriate listing price for your house and also advise you on any repairs that would be cost-effective. For example, if your house needs painting, it is almost always worth investing in that repair; but it almost never is worth replacing a functional kitchen with a fancier one just to sell the house. Ask the agents for names and phone numbers of past customers who recently sold their houses through that agent, then call those people and ask them how satisfied they were with the representation the agent provided. If you price your house competitively with an effective agent, and you offer an adequate commission to the buyer's agent through your listing, any house should sell quickly. If you overprice your house or offer no commission, or too low a commission, to a buyer agent, your house is likely to sit on the market until you lower the price or offer a fair commission. If you decide to sell your house "by owner," be sure to get legal advice on the disclosures you need to make, and have a lawyer draft the sales contract if the buyer does not have a buyer agent. Please reply to let me know whether I've answered your question, or if not, what other information you would like.

Give me a call or shoot me an when you get a chance and  I would be happy to help you! Thanks! David Caggiano