Profile picture for pklee527

what does it mean for me if my house was sold to me fraudulently? I have title insurance.

Can I sue for all of my monthly payments as well as for the money I put in to it for improvements?
  • April 22 2009 - Chicago
  • 0

If the property was sold to you than an ALTA Owner's policy (whether standard or extended) would have been issued.  This policy not only insures you clear title to the property, but also places the liability on the title insurance company who insured the transaction as the title insurance company must do its own due diligence to insure the right title and interest of the vested owner conveying you the property based on the chain of title.  As everyone else noted, contact a real estate attorney in your area.  Be sure to obtain documented records of your purchase transaction from the title company (if you do not have copies) in way of the preliminary title report, final HUD1, purchase and sales agreement, copy of the recorded Warranty Deed along with any other applicable information that would help state your case.  Please note that my response is assuming you are in an Escrow State versus an Attorney State.  The only difference being is with regards to who helped facilitate the closing process.  Regardless, title insurance had to have been issued so if you closed the transaction with a Settlement Agent (Escrow Company) than you could notify your Settlement Agent to obtain copies of your documents.  Otherwise, if the closing took place with an Attorney, than you should contact the Attorney who helped facilitate the closing and find out the title company who issued the Owner's policy. Good luck.  

Profile picture for Chris Corica
They have it right, contact an attorney. Just wanted too add, the type of title insurance you have makes a big difference. Lenders policy or Owners policy. Something to look into.

I would direct your question to the real estate attorney that you used to close on your home.  If you didn't use an attorney I would ask for referrals from friends, family, co-workers, etc..

527,

You are asking a Legal Question. There are few attorneys that respond to Ledal questions on Zillow. Consult a Real Estate Attorney. .... Rudi