Profile picture for peterooski

what is the average home price san francisco

• November 22 2011 - Outer Sunset
  • 1

Pretty clear that the discussion went off into the ditch and was no longer about the original question about average Outer Sunset home prices in SF.

Hope the poster found the info they needed, but if not there is market information on Outer Sunset here, here and a chart on Zillow here that might help.

Interesting that no response from anyone from Zillow since Mr Rascoffs comments. I suppose I will just have to keep airing my grievance with Zillow until someone wakes up and does some basic research and uses 'proper data' in the correct context. What the situation does demonstrate is how detached from reality Zillow is in the way it behaves when people question their zestimates.

well 2 days have elapsed since my exchange with Mr Rascoff and having no internet connectivity during that period gave me a good opportunity to reflect on his comments. What I now see is how his personal views set the tone for responses from people like Neil and Rachel from Ziollow when they palm people off with platitudes and "thats' the way it is and it can't be changed".

It's time Mr Rascoff realized he is company has 100m homes on his website and that brings certain responsibilities in how he operates and where a home owner feels that Mr Rascoff has an oncorrect valuation placed on their home by zillow then the have the right to question that zestimate and request it's deletion. The time has come for Regulation if these AVM sites continue to act in such a cavalier fashion imposing their BS valuations on homes they know very little about.

I for one will certainly be continuing my campaign until I get my zestimate deleted and so should every other disgruntled home owner.  

@Pasa:  I beg to differ.   Average is a word that covers three statistical types of average.   These three types are mean, median and mode.   Therefore, as median is one type of average, one is perfectly justified in discussing the median as an average.   What you describe is the mean, also an average (and the one most people associate with the word average).   So, please try not to use average for only one of these three.

Profile picture for Blue Nile
"according to Zillow, the average Zestimate in San Francisco is $643k." -

There is a major difference between "average" and "median", and what Zillow provides on the local info pages is MEDIAN, not "average".  In most cases, for economic data, "average" tends to be a higher value than "median", but there are some exceptions.

Median means 1/2 are estimated higher, and 1/2 are estimated lower.  If an even number of units, the two closest to the middle are averaged.

Average means the sum of all the estimates divided by the number of units.

Please try not to get the two confused, as people are confused enough without using the wrong terms.

By the way, the median "sold" price is also listed on the local info pages..
for San Francisco, that is $661.8k  The reason for the difference is the cross section of what is sold does not represent the same distribution of units as the entire set of units in the city.  (But still a MEDIAN, not "average" is given).

San Francisco Median Sold Price trend

Profile picture for Blue Nile
"When I read that there are only 5 programmers supporting Zestimates is it any wonder that there are so many errors?" -

A clarification on the "5" employees...
The 5 statisticians responsible for the Zestimates are NOT the same as the 5 programmers responsible for the site layout, site interface, and getting the public data loaded to the site.

If Zestimates were allowed to become "private" (hidden), the programmers would need to design and implement that interface and feature, not the statisticians.

Of course, regardless, it is a corporate management decision, and neither the statisticians nor the programmers could implement such a change without direction and authorization from management.

Profile picture for Dunes ..
"frankly if real estate data including Zestimates had been more readily available in the 2003-2006 bubble era (which was pre-Zillow), perhaps we wouldn't be paying the price today in our overall economy."

A rather wild claim IMHO by the CEO of Zillow..Surprises me

and this completely misses the Point
"We do have a rather large customer support team here at Zillow who does a great job responding to issues here on Advice"

Have been saying they do not respond to the ZESTIMATE Questions..That's been mostly left to a few Members who seem to be more interested in being Right than listening or working things out.

Both those things are Zillow's job IMHO in the Forum they tell people to use for asking those Questions..not something you delegate or allow others to do for you..

#1 RE Site in the Nation, Multi-Million Dollar Company and you do not answer Zestimate questions in your Forum after making an "improvement" which had and still has a lot of Consumers asking questions..Think ya got your PR priorities mixed up but that's just my opinion..

Point is Zillow should field those questions and should have from the start..

I don't remember you having emailed me, so I apologize for not referencing that in my prior post. If I referred your email to Russ, it was (and is) because it's his job to discuss these issues with our users, and he's good at his job. In fact, he's much better at discussing these issues with users than I am. Nonetheless, here goes...

Regarding why we don't let owners opt their home out of Zestimates: we believe that providing home valuations, as imperfect as they might sometimes be, is in the public interest. Access to this type of information benefits the overall market, and frankly if real estate data including Zestimates had been more readily available in the 2003-2006 bubble era (which was pre-Zillow), perhaps we wouldn't be paying the price today in our overall economy. Information empowers people to make smarter decisions. This is true in every part of our economy, especially the ones where decisions are particularly important (e.g., health care, financial services, real estate). I truly believe that the real estate market is better off due to the information that Zillow provides.

There are many other sites that also produce home valuations (e.g., realtor.com, trulia, eppraisal, realtor property resource, etc), though none of them are as well known as Zillow. In addition, there are dozens of B2B automated valuation models that produce home valuations as well. Out of those many companies, we are the only company in the home valuation space that makes available information about our accuracy; we are the only company that allows homeowners to impact their Zestimate by updating their property information; and we are the only company that allows owners to comment on their home's valuation and offer their own opinion of value. While you may not like your home's current Zestimate (and point of fact: sometimes I don't like MY home's Zestimate), it's meant to be a starting point in determining a home's value. It's a computer-generated estimate of a home's value, nothing more and nothing less. It's not an appraisal, and it will always be subject to certain limitations because it is not done by a human.

Surbiton,
If you have a problem with Zillow (and your comments in Advice certainly seems to indicate that you do), please feel free to email me and I'd be more than happy to talk to you about them.

We do have a rather large customer support team here at Zillow who does a great job responding to issues here on Advice and the many other ways that our tens of millions of users choose to communicate with us. Obviously I can't be in all places at all times, but I do my best to stay up to speed on what our customers are saying about us. As I said, please always feel free to email me directly if you want my attention.

Good answer David.

peterooski, you can find all sorts of data from Zillow about the San Francisco real estate market here.

Well, according to Zillow, the average Zestimate in San Francisco is $643k.

You can access this data on the property details page of any property that you search on Zillow. 

Zillow provides charts and data on prices for the last 10 years.