Profile picture for lspearnak1

what is the best hardwood floor for kithens

in the process of redoing my kitchen

August 31 2013 - US

It's difficult to say there if there is one wood "specie" that works best in the kitchen, as I would argue the answer is subjective.  However, there are some factors I would recommend you consider when putting a wood floor in your kitchen.  In the kitchen, you will necessarily get liquids on the floor and so, using a floor that is more resistant to moisture is important. 

I would avoid at all options any solid wood planks that are less than 1/2" thick.  The thinner planks are more prone to warping.  If you go solid wood, I would recommend using 3/4" material. Next, I would consider an engineered wood floor floor.  An engineered floor offers excellent moisture resistance because the substrate is typically applied in alternate pattern, engineered flooring also typically is less expensive than solid wood.  Lastly, I would consider a handscraped wood floor product.  
The benefit of a handscraped floor is that the natural waviness of the flooring will hide most impefections that a slight warping could cause.  I would just make sure that the handscraped product is greater than 1/2" if its solid wood and use an engineered handscraped product.  

While hardwood is trendy, ceramic or porcelain stone is more practical as the area is subject to moisture.  Why not put a tile floor that resembles hardwood down in your kitchen?

bamboo.

I got one uploaded...it's sideways...lol but there it is, the pic also has 8 of the dark tiles layed in the center to make a ceramic rug.
The dark tiles were used throughout the kitchen (at random) but that is the only pic. I took of the floor....nice kitty...he was my helper.
-Joseph-

It would depend on what kind of use it would be subject to.
In general most people would not have used hardwoods in kitchens but todays fashion has changed.
Hardwoods are now included in a lot of kitchens.

The main issue that I would see is from a design point. If you have hardwood anywhere near the kitchen (example dining rm.) then of course they should match.
As far as being durable, then one hardwood verses another (species) isn't a big concern.

Tile is still a big finish floor covering for mid to high end kitchens.
If there is nothing governing your choices and you want the look of wood with the durability and water resist. then you could use a woodlook ceramic plank.
They are installed same as ceramic and come in shapes approx. 6 X 24 then you will have the best of both worlds.
They usually come in a dark color, which seems to look great with any cabinetry and can be found on the shelf at Lowes.

If you want to go with ceramic then think about finding a nice earthtone color as you look at these consider a dark tile to randomly mix in with the tile you are looking at. (same size ) ... install them in a no pattern format. 
I have done this install on a lot of kitchens and baths and people love them.
Sounds weird but give it a try in the store and see for your self.
I tried to load you up a few pictures but they wouldn't go through.
-Joseph-

That's a great Question I will look into and post what I find. I currently have tile and it's looks great.

If you mean what is the best flooring for the kitchen, I would say depending on your budget either linoleum or ceramic tile.