what is the best site to use for tenant screening?

January 09 2013 - US

I use YouCheckCredit.com

1 day ago
Profile picture for Multifamily guy
@ co annestander e-renter is comparable to Rentprep in terms of accuracy and comprehensiveness because the reports are done by hand (I assume this because there's a turn-around time). The downside for me was that they charge the landlord and the renter a fee. This means the renter will have to pay your application fee and then log into e-renter to pay a nominal fee to process the order. They're the only company I've seen do this so at least they're not just reselling data I can't imagine many tenants paying that weird fee so I didn't use them

1 day ago
I usually use SmartMove. It is a really good source that provides background check (criminal), credit and more.

2 days ago
Profile picture for manager03
[Promotion removed by Zillow moderator. See our Good Neighbor Policy.]

6 days ago
Profile picture for co annestander
Has anyone tried e-renter?

6 days ago
Profile picture for trippbutler3

6 days ago
Hiring a local property manager would be the best.  

6 days ago
Profile picture for Multifamily guy
I manage 11 units and after much research - here are my notes;

SMARTMOVE - good for full credit but the tenant has too much involvement.  
 HOUSERIE - looks like they resell Smartmove because it's the same thing with heavy tenant involvement.  COZY - tons of set-up. Good if you're looking for something to manage your properties, but terrible for tenant screening. They don't offer an eviction report!  
  RENTPREP - no tenant involvement and I love that the reports are so accurate because they use live screeners. I don't love their prices, but I guess you get what you pay for.  
 LEASERUNNER - another reseller for Smartmove I'm guessing. No different than Houserie TENANTBACKGROUNDSEARCH - you need to order the premium package just to get an eviction report. 

So many options out there so be sure to do your homework first and CALL the companies. Many of these places don't even have a phone number on the website. Too many are not actual screening businesses, just resellers of data.

6 days ago
Profile picture for prettylantana
Don't use Houserie until you read their privacy policy.  It wasn't good enough for me or my tenants.

September 22
Profile picture for JitkaSykora
LeaseRunner in my opinion.

I like the final report that is easy to read and includes a credit score, recommendation, employer, previous addresses along with the credit and criminal history - google "LeaseRunner sample report" to see how it looks like. 

September 17
Profile picture for pennamatt
Just read all of the recommendations. Tried out RentPrep too. Not sure why they say the results of the report can't be used for adverse action? I also tried Verticalrent, Experian, and Smartmove. Verticalrent's service worked well if your looking for a quick and easy way to snag criminal, eviction, and credit. But I didn't like that they didn't offer a recommendation. Of course, I can figure it out by reading the credit score and looking at the results on the criminal and eviction report but it would be nice if they gave me a "thumbs up" or "thumbs down" with the application. Not sure if I am sold on any one service yet though and I'll continue to shop around for the 30 units that I own in Florida. 

September 12
[Promotion removed by Zillow moderator.]

September 12
Profile picture for sandranoel12
Check out resident research  My experience is they find more criminal and eviction reports than any other firm, and they will help small landlords.  Their pricing is also very reasonable, and the report comes back in < 15 minutes. 

September 12
Profile picture for gamona
NOT "Tenant Background Search".  I ordered reports and did not receive anything.  Company unresponsive via phone and email.  Think I got scammed.  

September 10
Profile picture for maryduncan529

September 10
Profile picture for jmarsh5
On www.xmarks.com, National Tenant Network is the #2 spot in the top ten list. And it also depends on how many tenants you need to check out as well but they are definitely worth at least checking out.

Google National Tenant Network.

September 05
Yikes!! @Jordana you have to at least check for criminal and eviction records! Who cares what their credit score is if they were evicted last year, or have a history of the police being called to the property, or are going to call me every other day to change a light bulb.

I've been burned by people with decent credit because they only have a few tradeline accounts that makes them appear responsible. Just remember that a "good-tenant" can have bad credit, just as a "bad-tenant" can have good credit. There are far more important elements to screening than credit scores.

September 03
I have my tenants give me a copy of their credit report since they can do it for free.  It's easier for me and I waive the application fee as a result.  I take a copy of drivers license and application with previous landlord info etc.  I've found that credit score/report is the best indication of a good tenant. 

September 03
Well you can cross Instant Checkmate off your list!  What a waste!  They claim to be the most inexpensive of their competition; however, in order to get anything that's really helpful, you must order the PREMIUM report which is available at the low discount price of an additional $19.99 per report.  It's another $1.99 to download the report.  I guess you get what you pay for, and for me, this one is not much! 

September 03
That's true except that these websites allow you to have the tenant approve the release of their credit report. Check it out.

August 27
They offer a credit scorecard not an actual credit score. In my years as a landlord I've found that places will give you an exact credit score but they have to come to your house and inspect it and they charge you for this.

August 27
Does Houserie offer an actual credit report? It looks like they only provide a summary.
I find that either The American Apartment Owners Association or Tenant Alert provides a good all around report and their customer service seems very responsive.

August 27
I have used a few different services and found that Houserie was the best. I go the report back quickly and it was very easy to read. I had a few questions before I ran the report and the customer service was excellent. I will be using them again and would suggest anyone use them looking to use a tenant screening service.
[Hotlink and promotion removed by Zillow moderator. Please see our  Good Neighbor Policy.]

August 27
I use TrueRent.com.  It's pretty simple. 

August 26
I had the same question about the Rentprep reports that have that warning about adverse action. I called and talked to a Screener that explained it was only for the address history because if someone is getting mail at an old address still they might still appear that they're living there, when they're not. Databases don't know the difference, this is why they do the eviction searches and criminal records by hand. So I would say that it was still money well spent @baldwinwireless. I'd call and talk to the Screeners if you still have questions, that's whats nice about the service, they're probably sick of me calling in! But they're helpful enough that I've become used to just reaching out when I need help 

August 25
I use [Promotion and hotlink removed by Zillow moderator. Please see our for information Good Neighbor Policy.]

August 22
Profile picture for baldwinwireless
I just tried RentPrep after reading this chain & had results within 30 minutes. 
Unfortunately, the report also included the following verbiage:

WARNING: This search may not be used as the basis for an adverse action on an applicant. 

Money well spent?  

August 20
Profile picture for viklaw
I recently started using Houserie after reading an article on them in RIS Media. I must say, I like the format of the report as well as how flexible the platform is. Customer service was great too. 

August 12
Profile picture for zuser20140809111000712
What about USAA?

August 11
Profile picture for zuser20140801080807295
Don't use "My Tenant Screening".  Zero customer support, just automated replies.  They were unable to provide me a report and they did not refund me.  Now I am worried that private information is in the hands of this company and they do not seem honest. 

August 11