Profile picture for winesipides

what kind of house am i looking for?

i'm a first time home buyer disappointed in the styles of homes available to me.  while designing my own home is probably the only way i'll get what i really want, that cost is prohibitive, especially in the bay area.  to make matters worse, i'm finding many listings are recent renovations, their owners hoping to entice prospective buyers, but in my case driving me further away because i neither like their style nor the higher cost associated with the renovating.  where and at what should i be looking, considering designing my own home seems to be out of the question?  should i consider only 'run down' listings, having plans to remodel/renovate myself?  if so, how do i approach the bank with that strategy?  that is, how do i ask the bank for a loan for an existing house when i need money to renovate it thoroughly to my own liking?  thanks.

October 28 2013 - US

Best Answer

First off how are you getting info on homes for sale. in the areas your looking for. you need a realtor to send you listings everyday so you can see everything that out there. if your just viewing a few homes a week your results decrease. I would be more than happy to do that for you if  you send me what your looking for and where you want to live. I have financing in place.I can get you a pre-approval letter in 24 hours. the banks offer loans called a 203k loan .where they give you the money to buy a fixer upper and give you draws of money as the repairs are getting done. I hope I was able to answer some of your questions .

There are mortgages known as renovation loans that cover the costs of the home and the costs of renovations. One popular loan of this type is an FHA 203k mortgage that does this exact thing. From what I've heard, this can be a loan that requires a lot of hoops to jump through, so be prepared for that. Well I hope this helps, if you have any other questions or need a loan please contact me through the information on my profile page. I hope this helps and good luck!

Talk to a local lender or two.  Many have programs that support exactly what you are talking about.  They will usually be happy to walk you through the requirements for such a loan product.