whats more important to you, square footage or number of bedrooms, bathrooms?

Recently in Ontario Canada they stopped allowing square footage and now are allowing agents and realtors to only quote number of bedrooms/bathrooms, rooms.
What do you think ? Sq footage (which gets mis measured sometimes) or number of rooms.
  • February 03 2011 - Canada
  • 0

Profile picture for Connie Klemme
It's becoming a dilemma here too. The problem is, that number of beds/baths just won't cut it for sufficient information.  Even if the Square footage is off a bit you aren't wasting someone's time by showing them a  1600 sqft 4 bedroom when they will take nothing under 2000 sqft if you have the information available to filter that out in the search.  A few offices here are starting to use a company that comes out and measures and guarantees measurement accuracy as part of the listing process.

I have a client that is looking at  1 1/2 story homes with finished attic space.

He's tall and he's got lots of big furniture.

I've been looking at a LOT of photos online and if you believe the bedroom dimensions the amount of usable space these agents are quoting must be meant for the Keebler Elves as way too much of it seems to be squeezed under those headbanging eaves. 

"If you keep it up today Pasadenan you'll have to get a tetnis shot...some of us Realtors bite "

Believe you may have meant "tetanus" vice "tetnis". Probably should be more concerned about "rabies".

Profile picture for blue screen exile
Thank you Sunnyview for helping clarify that for me.  I never intended to say "all" agents lie, or even "most" agents lie.  I used the word "many", which means substantially more than a few.

If it is really true that there are almost "no bad apples" in Sharon's area, she is exceptionally fortunate.  Unfortunately, I think a realistic look at the situations would turn up a lot more of the types of example that you outline than most would expect.

My experience is very similar to yours.  The house across the street when it was listed they used the entirely wrong address to make it appear to be in a different neighborhood.  When I pointed it out, the listing agent said "thank you" but never bothered to fix it in the listings nor the fliers.

And I just got another solicitation in the mail from a local agent that said he saw my "make me move" on Zillow.  And he says " if you would like to test the waters by listing, call me".  What part of having my "make me move" way way way above market value doesn't he understand?  He obviously never even read anything on the home details page, for if he did, he would have noticed that while the market declined, I raised the "make me move" multiple times.  Since agents don't understand that I'm not selling, I keep raising the "make me move"; and they still don't get it.

Unfortunately, agents in my area regularly include unfinished or obviously illegally built square footage in their listings. The worst recent case was a listing that said it was 2400sf. When I toured the house, I saw that 800 of that was damp cement basement with a shortened access door for entry through the master bedroom closet.

I asked the agent again how many square feet the listing was, she told me 2400sf. When I pointed out that the basement was not legal living space, she shrugged, chuckled and said "Well you know, it's all about due diligence." While I do not suggest that all agents lie, some are happy to stretch facts beyond the truth. They may be bad apples, but when the good apples don't say anything, rot spreads. Ethics are fine, but the lack of enforcement against offenders damages all agents in the field.

My humble opinion is that Pasadenan has some of the most well considered answers on the board.   When he is attacked, it tends to be those who try to divert the soundness of his arguments by a diversionary attack.

Agents/Realtors who say they may bite are Realtors who would go on our "never do business with that person" list.  Glad your post is there for posterity?

Do I like Realtors?  there are some excellent ones, and there is a very large group who ranks their professional worth far higher than many of us "plain old consumers".

Profile picture for blue screen exile
"What do you think ?" -

Why bother asking the consumers a question if you don't want an answer?

Don't forget that the reason data is now omitted in some areas is because certain parties got sued and lost for having misleading data.

Profile picture for blue screen exile
"If you keep it up today Pasadenan you'll have to get a tetnis (sic) shot...some of us Realtors bite " -

I'm certainly not afraid of a threat of a bite from someone over 300 miles away...

But feel free to try.

And if you don't like my answers, please remember to flag them.

Go Linda!

If you keep it up today Pasadenan you'll have to get a tetnis shot...some of us Realtors bite

Profile picture for blue screen exile
"You obviously carry a lot of anger with you and apparently don't like realtors .. I am sorry to see that....it will take its toll on your health and realtionships. So why 'waste' your time on our boards..." -

I'm sorry, but you are completely mistaken.

And you can keep your own anger to yourself.

My time is free to "waste" as I please.  And the "board" does not belong to you.

"Your answers are uninspired and generally unhelpful." -

That is why I have over 3500 "helpful" votes, and you only have 25.

"Do you have your license?" -

Yes, of course I have a professional state license in another field, and you would have already known that if you bothered to read what you were commenting about on other threads.

Three Cheers for Sharon Lewis...hip hip hooray...You tell em girlfriend!

Pasadean
You obviously carry a lot of anger with you and apparently don't like realtors .. I am sorry to see that....it will take its toll on your health and realtionships. So why 'waste' your time on our boards . Your answers are uninspired and generally unhelpful.

You are incorrect and misinformed in suggesting that a Realtor takes a course to only satisy NAR requirements . Many of us take additional courses to better serve our clients.... We are not altruistic, we are making sure we know all the changes that constantly happen in this industry. Like any profession we are required to keep up on changes, but the hours required are a drop in the hat to what many of us do.....am I helping to reeducate you so far?
As far as money earned....what an asinine statement. We of course are in business to earn a living so we can feed our families and enjoy life. Its been an incredibly difficult couple of years and I applaud the Realtors and agents who have managed to 'survive'  If you average out the hours compared to the dollars the average realtor makes you would wonder why they are even in this business. Again you are misinformed.

Do you have your license? What qualifies you to make such broad statements about an industry you so clearly know so little about.

Some people do take their courses at community colleges because it is the only venue that offers the course where they live. Many of us take them at private schools and many of us actually go to college and university and get our BA's in Real Estate as well as business. But what is wrong with community colleges? Do you suggest we start subscribing to your brand of elitism?

Shall I continue to educate you or do you know what you know and the facts have nothing to do with it.

Profile picture for blue screen exile
"Most people don't realize the long hours we work and the continuing education we take,  so we can better serve our clients." -

Of course I realize the number of hours people work and the education they take, and the amount of hours and dollars for that "education".  But in most cases, a course at a community college would be better "education" than any course offered by "NAR".  And the grade you get for that course from NAR goes "no-where".

And it is not just to "better serve the clients"; it is required in order to renew your membership with NAR, and in some cases to renew your state license, and in most cases, to increase your own income.

To claim it is purely "altruistic" is also a "lie".

And if that "oath of ethics" actually had any weight, I would get the unethical agents to lose their licenses so that the consumers would have a higher probability of someone that would actually be ethical.

And if the agents really believe the county records information is not correct, the agent should verify the information themselves instead of just posting "deemed reliable, not verified, not responsible...".

It is just a plain excuse to be lazy and take no responsibility for anything.

But considering how many agents have posted on Zillow that they can't even do 4th grade math, I'm not at all surprised that most won't bother checking the square footage.

And yes, I know 25 REA's personally; but there are only about 4 that I would select to represent me, especially after reading some of the comments posted by agents on this website.

And don't forget, if any agent repeats ANY of the NAR "talking points" without qualification, the agent is blatantly intentionally lying or is just ignorant.

Lisa, if you dont list the cumulative square footage in Kentucky, how do you handle a client asking for a 3000 sq ft home etc.

I found it interesting that in Ontario (Canada) the MLS system is not dealing with square footage anymore
Pasadean, 'many agents lie' is simply not true. The Realtors I know in The Triangle area and on boards like this,  are ethical and work extremely hard to make sure everything is done right for their clients and we are constantly paying for the occasional 'bad apple' but for the most part, Realtors and real estate agents are an amazing group of people and I am so proud to be associated with them.  Most people don't realize the long hours we work and the continuing education we take,  so we can better serve our clients.
We love our clients and fiercly protect them and make sure that their transactions go as smoothly as possible for them which includes doing the square footage right. Public records are generally incorrect.

My tape measure is in our pocket at all times when house shopping.  But, I would be annoyed if there wasn't an approximation of the size of the home.

Number of bedrooms then showing the actual outside dimensions. Square feet confuse me. 24 x 40 I understand.

I would be careful...if builders hear all they have to show is the number of rooms...they'll build them like shoeboxes

Profile picture for blue screen exile
"they stopped allowing square footage" -

It is not possible to stop allowing square footage; it is part of the "public records" and it will be looked at one way or the other.

Yes, we know many agents lie about those numbers and then put in a qualifier in their ad copy saying "deemed to be reliable, but not responsible for errors".  Sure some say they got it from the seller.  And some state they only measure the exterior, and some take it direct from the public records.

Of course you can't rely on the published numbers; you have to measure it yourself!  But for searching and sorting, it helps to at least have a relative magnitude size.

Of course Zillow's estimating algorithm takes into account each of the major public records variables.  I suggested they do a pie chart of the resulting coefficients for each variable to communicate how these various items were weighted in a given area, but they said that it would be too confusing to the average consumer, and not that easy to produce.

I still think it is a good idea; so much for sqfootage; so much for land area, so much for bedrooms, so much for bathrooms, so much for covered parking, so much for year built, so much for tax assessed value adjusted for date and local tax rules, so much for last sold price adjusted for date, so much for number of stories...

Sure, I could collect the recently sold data and run my own least squares curve fit and then use that to make my own pie charts, but why should I repeat all the work that Zillow already has done?

The two go together. What good is 4 small bedrooms? 3 decent sized bedrooms would be better, unless 4 is absolutely needed. Then, the house needs more square footage to keep the rooms from becoming too small.

Then again, different people have different definitions for "too small". However, it's like everything else. If you over-simplify and only look at one aspect, you're sure to be leaving something out. Number of rooms and total square footage isn't an either/or, it's an "and".

Profile picture for Smart Option Homes
In Kentucky- we do not even list square footage on our MLS-  most of my clients don't seem to mind-   we do list the size of each room and the number of bedrooms and bathrooms-