Profile picture for zuser20140611174449679

where can i get paperwork from a previous shortsale?

Short sold my home in 2012 but I have little paperwork. I am looking to refinance my home but need documentation to prove the shortsale due to unclear reporting on my credit report......where can I find this paperwork? All I have is minimal paperwork from the escrow paperwork..... I think I need the shortsale addendum but don't know where to start. Thanks
  • June 11 2014 - Rancho Cucamonga
  • 0

Title will have any paperwork that you may need and escrow.loan originator/agent can get it from them.

As others have suggested, the title company will have the short sale addendum as well as all other paperwork required by the buyers lender.. the real estate agent you hired to sell your home would also have a copy of the addendum..

Feel free to reach out to me via my profile if you have any additional questions or concerns.  William J. Acres, Arizona's Mortgage Expert.

That should not be an issue. Title companies retain their paperwork up to 7 years(?).   Any title company can search finding out the escrow company based on APN and approx date of escrow. 

Assuming it is Title company XYZ any branch can help you retrieve the old records.
Another angle is the realtor. Most agents move around and some stored old records in in storage lockers.

Sam Shueh
Keller Wms Realty

Profile picture for eloffperez
I would contact the title company and or agent who handled the transaction for you. They should be able to provide any documentation needed. Ask for a copy of the HUD-1 and the purchase contract, addendum's and the short sale approval letter. The county assessor's office will also have the recorded deed that you can pull up online. 

If you are refinancing your Mortgage Professional should be able to get the necessary documentation to satisfy underwriting. This is very common, I do this for every client with a prior short sale or foreclosure and therefore never need to request it from the client. If I cannot pull it directly, which I am normally able to do, I request it from Escrow. If you need additional assistance or have any further questions, my contact information is available on my Profile. All the best to you!

All you really need to start is the address of the property that short sale. I'm guessing you are being asked to prove your short sale was over two years ago. With the address you can access the grant deed that was recorded from the sale, that document can confirm how much time has elapsed. The lender might also want to see the HUD which the escrow company can provide if you cannot locate in your closing paperwork, and if the lender also wants to see the actual short sale agreement which is not commonly needed then escrow should have that too and if not the servicer that completed the short sale would. Your loan originator should be able to help you with all of this, if they are proficient at it feel free to contact me and I can help you out, I'm in CA.

The title company/escrow agent will have many of the documents you seek. Even if you have minimal paperwork from the escrow company, there should be some contact information for you to work with. Start making some phone calls... but call your real estate agent first, that may be quicker.

I'm not clear on the paperwork you're looking for.  Sean gave good advice in requesting documentation from your real estate agent.  They may be able to provide you with the documentation that was provided to your lender to get acceptance on your short sale.  If you're just looking for the numbers involved in the transaction, you can ask the escrow company for a copy of the HUD 1.

Profile picture for SeanGlaze
Are you looking at getting paperwork for a deal that you were involved in or a deal that you're not involved? if it was your sale or purchase you should contact the agent that helped you they should have copies of the paperwork.