where is the best place to buy a rental property in usa or the world

20 to 40k  to invest 
  • September 30 2013 - Columbus

Do your research on state laws first but Georgia and Tennessee are hot spots right now. 

I would get your feet wet in your first rental in your own backyard first.  Being a landlord is a learning experiment and I just can't imagine having had my first rental in another state or even country.  Would have been a total nightmare.  Buy one that is close to you first then maybe venture out for your second once you know how things work. 

Profile picture for ArturKomov
Manhattan people that rent there are really prequalified  . Moscow  low high real-estate inflation prices to rent really high and if tenant doesn't pay next day he is out the house

Profile picture for broker_GRI

20-40k rules out California and landlord tenant laws there are slanted to the tenant.
I agree with Joseph regarding location and having it be as close to you as possible.

Loopnet.com is a decent place to start looking

SF Bay Area ;)    but I may be biased

That depends on your business plan. As a rental investor myself my advice, especially if this is your first rental investment would be to buy in your back yard. 

You will want to be close to your rental property whether you plan to manage and do repairs yourself or not. I have some properties that I "long distance landlord" and I will be the first one to tell you it can be a major headache.

Furthermore your market knowledge is going to be stronger in a location you are familiar with. Try to buy in an area where you see prices rising that way if you have to sell, it will be easier and hopefully profitable Make sure you pay attention to your income and expense. Figure out what you want your cap rate to be and don't go below it. 

And remember to make money when you buy. If you want more information I'd recommend checking out a couple books at your local library and partnering up with a seasoned investor.